- A 26-year-old named Tonye Iketubosin has been arrested and charged with sexual abuse of an 18-year-old girl and a 17-year-old girl. The 18-year-old reported said Iketubosin raped her inside a tent at Occupy Wall Street, where he is volunteering at the protest as a kitchen worker, early Sunday morning. That girl had an argument with her tent-mate in the middle of the night on Saturday and Iketubosin offered to let her sleep in his tent. She fell asleep and woke up to him raping her. The 17-year-old said Iketubosin helped her set up her tent on Thursday night and the next morning she found him groping her, until she pushed him away. I certainly am not making this story the lead item in Today’s Lady News to suggest all, or even most, people at Occupy Wall Street are bad guys. But I am including it to make the point that even so-called “liberals” or “progressives” commit sexual violence against women. [Gothamist]
- “Is there anyone who thinks sexual harassment is a real thing?” That’s how this essay by John Derbyshire in the conservative magazine National Review begins, which you should only read if there are no sharp objects around that you might slam your forehead into. [National Review via Feministe]
- Meghan McCain (aka John McCain’s daughter, who writes a column for The Daily Beast) took a shot at President Obama on MSNBC for opposing gay marriage. [Think Progress]
- Patrick Henry High School, which just crowned a lesbian couple its homecoming king and queen at homecoming, is being flooded with hateful emails and phone calls. [Queerty]
- Check out this excerpt from the forthcoming book, The Guy’s Guide To Feminism. [Feministing]
- On disappearing meaty roles for black actresses. [Madame Noire]
- California Assemblywoman Cathleen Galgiani of Merced County came out as a lesbian in an interview with her local newspaper. [Queerty]
Do you have a blog post or a news article you’d like to submit to Today’s Lady News? Send it to me at Jessica@TheFrisky.com. And follow me on Twitter at @JessicaWakeman!