Today’s Lady News: Erica Watson Receives Apology In Fat-Shaming Controversy
- TV One has apologized for using an unauthorized image of the actress/comedian Erica Watson in a fat-shaming way on a recent episode of “Love That Girl,” starring Tatyana Ali. [Facebook.com/TVone]
- San Francisco’s Board of City Supervisors voted this week to approve a city ordinance that would require so-called “crisis pregnancy centers” from posting signage that clearly states whether a medical professional works on staff and whether it provides comprehensive women’s health options. San Francisco is taking the lead from other cities across the country, like Baltimore and New York City, that are cracking down on CPCs that mislead women into thinking they are similar to abortion clinics or women’s health centers. [Feminist.org]
- Etta James, the legendary R&B singer, announced she will be retiring. The 73-year-old is currently battling leukemia and Alzheimer’s. [The Root]
- A microbicide vaginal gel that reduces the risk of transmission of AIDS also is effective in preventing herpes, according to a new study. [New York Times]
- Active-duty lesbians and gays in the military say that coming out post-“Don’t Ask Don’t Tell” has been uneventful. That’s good news! [Bay Windows]
- LaToya Peterson of the blog Racialicious addresses the new book Is Marriage For White People? and the so-called “black marriage crisis.” [Guardian UK]
- Is television more welcoming to “out” lesbian actresses than film? [After Ellen]
- Police in Chicago are searching for a missing 18-year-old woman named Amber Nall. She’s been gone since Sunday. [Huffington Post]
- The former president of Botswana, in Africa, has called for the country to decriminalize prostitution and homosexuality in the hopes that it will thwart the spread of HIV. [BBC]
- A Tunisian woman named Rabab Atiq defends her right to wear the Muslim hijab. [Guardian UK]
- Check out why these young women haven chosen to pursue life in the nunnery. [Guardian UK]
Do you have an article or a blog post to submit to Today’s Lady News? Send it to me at [email protected] Follow me on Twitter at @JessicaWakeman.
5 Signs You Belong Together
We've all heard the old saying that there's someone out there for everyone. Here are a few signs you can look for to figure out just how well you and your partner mesh together.
3 Reasons to Stay Single
There are plenty of benefits to being in a relationship, but there are just as many reasons for staying single.
9 Sexual Communication Tips
Talking about sex can be stressful, Here are nine helpful tips to make it easier.
Top 5 Gifts for Couples
Are you looking for something you can share with your partner? Check out these great recommendations to find something that you'll both love.
Top 5 Gifts for Him
Not sure what to get your man? Check out some of the top gift ideas from the guys at Adam & Eve.
Indulge in a little "me time"
Adam & Eve Adult Toys. Always Discreet, Free Shipping and Bonus Gifts.