Today’s Lady News: Watch “Miss Representation” On OWN Tonight
- Tonight is the television premiere of “Miss Representation,” a new documentary about how women are depicted in the mass media. The doc was written, directed and produced by Jennifer Siebel Newson and features commentary from Katie Couric, Rachel Maddow, Gloria Steinem, Nancy Pelosi, Condoleezza Rice, Margaret Cho, Rosario Dawson, and my friend Jennifer L. Pozner, who runs a feminist media watchdog group called Women In Media & News. “Miss Representation” is airing at 9 p.m. (EST) on OWN, Oprah’s network — make sure you watch! [MissRepresentation.org]
- An FBI subcommittee voted unanimously yesterday to change the official definition of “rape” so it includes a broader range of rapes other than just “forcible” ones against women. The existing definition did not encompass rapes committed against men or rapes that were not physically aggressive, such as those committed after slipping roofies in a person’s drink. The definition still needs to be approved by FBI Director Robert Mueller, however. [Feminist.org]
- Domestic policy advisor Melody Barnes announced today she will be leaving the White House. Prior to that, Barnes was a senior domestic policy advisor for Obama’s presidential campaign and former executive vice president for policy at the Center For American Progress. [Madame Noire]
- Former Pennsylvania Senator Rick Santorum is bashing Herman Cain for suggesting women have the right to choose, even though he has previously said he is against abortion even in the case of rape or incest. But Santorum slammed Cain at a campaign stop in New Hampshire, prompting Cain to tweet, “I’m 100% pro-life. End of story.” UGH. [Think Progress]
- Lord, are we still arguing over whether women are funny? [XX Factor]
- Is Siri — the new assistant feature on Apple’s iPhone 4s — feminist? [Think Progress]
- Readers in Ireland may want to check out a debate on abortion rights at Trinity College in Dublin by Jill Filipovic of the blog Feministe. It’ll be held on Wednesday, October 26. [Feministe]
5 Signs You Belong Together
We've all heard the old saying that there's someone out there for everyone. Here are a few signs you can look for to figure out just how well you and your partner mesh together.
3 Reasons to Stay Single
There are plenty of benefits to being in a relationship, but there are just as many reasons for staying single.
9 Sexual Communication Tips
Talking about sex can be stressful, Here are nine helpful tips to make it easier.
Top 5 Gifts for Couples
Are you looking for something you can share with your partner? Check out these great recommendations to find something that you'll both love.
Top 5 Gifts for Him
Not sure what to get your man? Check out some of the top gift ideas from the guys at Adam & Eve.
Indulge in a little "me time"
Adam & Eve Adult Toys. Always Discreet, Free Shipping and Bonus Gifts.