Today’s Lady News: Pennsylvania House To Introduce Anti-Abortion Ultrasound Bill
- Pennsylvania’s state House of Representatives will soon introduce an anti-abortion bill that requires a woman seeking an abortion have an ultrasound 24 hours before the procedure. The doctor is required to position the screen of the ultrasound test facing the woman, although the woman is not required by law to look at it. She will also be required to received two prints of the ultrasound image, although she is not required to open them. The bill is called the Woman’s Right To Know Act and claims to give pregnant women “full information” about terminating a pregnancy. But instead, ultrasound bills like this one heap an additional expense upon women with unplanned pregnancies and provide a hindrance to seeking an abortion. [Reproductive Health Reality Check]
- A lesbian couple is being criticized for encouraging their adopted daughter, who was born a son, to undergo a gender transformation. I’m sure you’ll be shocked to hear some bigots are decrying this situation as a reason we should outlaw gay adoption. [Think Progress]
- A five-part PBS series called “Women, War & Peace” about the impact of war on women, begins tonight. It sounds fascinating. [Feministing]
- On getting rape threats as a blogger. [Tiger Beatdown]
- Harvard student Madeleine Schwartz criticizes the absence of radical feminist thought being explored in the school’s syllabi. [The Crimson via Feministing]
- Iranian actress Marzieh Vafamehr has been sentenced to 90 lashes and jail time for appearing in a 2009 movie, “My Tehran for Sale,” that is critical of Iran’s regime. [BBC]
- At least 16 women and girls who were raped or sexually assaulted by a British police officer have been told they would be refused financial compensation for their trauma. The officer, Stephen Mitchell, apparently targeted the women because they were drug addicts and promised to get charges dropped or procure drugs. (Thanks to Frisky reader Abigail for the link!) [Sunderland Echo]
- A Jamaican dancehall artist called Vybz Kartel is now hawking a line of skin bleaching creams for black men. [Madame Noire]
Have an article or blog post to submit to Today’s Lady News? Send it to [email protected] Follow me on Twitter at @JessicaWakeman.
5 Signs You Belong Together
We've all heard the old saying that there's someone out there for everyone. Here are a few signs you can look for to figure out just how well you and your partner mesh together.
3 Reasons to Stay Single
There are plenty of benefits to being in a relationship, but there are just as many reasons for staying single.
9 Sexual Communication Tips
Talking about sex can be stressful, Here are nine helpful tips to make it easier.
Top 5 Gifts for Couples
Are you looking for something you can share with your partner? Check out these great recommendations to find something that you'll both love.
Top 5 Gifts for Him
Not sure what to get your man? Check out some of the top gift ideas from the guys at Adam & Eve.
Indulge in a little "me time"
Adam & Eve Adult Toys. Always Discreet, Free Shipping and Bonus Gifts.