Today’s Lady News: North Carolina’s Ultrasound Before Abortion Law Challenged
- The ACLU and several other rights groups have filed a lawsuit against North Carolina’s new state law requiring a pregnant woman receive an ultrasound and hear an explanation about the fetus’ stage of development before terminating a pregnancy. The lawsuit argues that its unethical for abortion providers to require women to listen to “state-mandated ideological speech.” The bill had been vetoed by NC’s Governor Beverly Perdue, a Democrat, but the veto was overturned by the state’s Republican-led legislature. [Feminist.org]
- A photograph of a woman holding a sign reading “Woman is the n**ger of the world” (a lyric from a John Lennon/Yoko Ono song) at New York City’s SlutWalk protest this weekend is prompting a continued discussion about the women’s movement and race. [Racialicious]
- A so-called “study” by two professors at religious universities claiming sexual orientation can be changed after undergoing years in a ministry program is being challenged as biased. [CNN]
- If we’ve got any Yalies reading The Frisky, tonight the Yale Political Union is hosting a debate on the topic “College Sexual Culture Endangers Women.” If anyone checks it out, share your thoughts on it in the comments. [Feministe]
- On the portrayal of women in country music. [Bitch Magazine]
- Blogger Alyssa Rosenberg at Think Progress asks, what makes a TV show “aimed at women”? [Think Progress]
- A contraceptive shot given to women every three months in Africa appears to double their risk for contracting HIV, according to a study published yesterday. [New York Times]
- Officials in Peru freed 300 women and girls as young as 13 from sex slavery at 50 brothels. [BBC]
Do you have a story or blog post to submit to Today’s Lady News? Send it to me at [email protected]
You can follow me on Twitter at @JessicaWakeman.
5 Signs You Belong Together
We've all heard the old saying that there's someone out there for everyone. Here are a few signs you can look for to figure out just how well you and your partner mesh together.
3 Reasons to Stay Single
There are plenty of benefits to being in a relationship, but there are just as many reasons for staying single.
9 Sexual Communication Tips
Talking about sex can be stressful, Here are nine helpful tips to make it easier.
Top 5 Gifts for Couples
Are you looking for something you can share with your partner? Check out these great recommendations to find something that you'll both love.
Top 5 Gifts for Him
Not sure what to get your man? Check out some of the top gift ideas from the guys at Adam & Eve.
Indulge in a little "me time"
Adam & Eve Adult Toys. Always Discreet, Free Shipping and Bonus Gifts.