Today’s Lady News: Happy LGBT History Month!
- Happy LGBT History Month, y’all! The Frisky’s Girl On Girl columnist Trish Bendix has five kick-ass documentaries to watch about gays and lesbians throughout the ages. I’ve heard that “Edie & Thea: A Very Long Engagement,” about a lesbian couple who was together for 42 years, is a two-hankie affair, so be warned! [After Ellen]
- Friday marked the 35th anniversary of the Hyde Amendment, which bans most federal funding for abortion. You hear that, people freaking out about Obama’s health care reform? [NPR]
- A lesbian couple in New York that was refused a marriage license from a bigoted town clerk after same-sex marriage became legal in the state appeared on MSBNC and said they “felt like we were second-class citizens.” [Think Progress]
- Remember Melissa Petro, the former sex worker who was exposed by the New York Post, causing her to lose her job as a New York City public school teacher? Petro is blogging for the next eight weeks at Bitch Magazine about re-framing sex work from a feminist perspective. [Bitch Magazine]
- One woman at Stanford’s business school explains how a TED talk by Facebook COO Sheryl Sandberg about women, children and jobs inspired her to launch a start-up while pregnant. Make sure you don’t miss her Barnard College commencement speech, either. (Thanks to reader Eric for the link!) [Harvard Business Review]
- Hear one woman’s story about how she was told she was too overweight to have an abortion. [Jezebel]
- The NYC fire department has
firedhired its first openly transgender firefighter, a trans woman named Brooke who is a third-generation firefighter. [Apologies for the typo. Thank you to commenter WMLizzie07 for alerting me.] [Think Progress]
- A new study out of Stanford finds that abortion rate in Africa rose after America instituted the so-called “global gag rule,” which refuses any federal funding to family planning programs in developing countries that so much as mention abortion. The researchers fingered a lack of contraceptives during the years when the “global gag rule” was in effect as the cause for the abortion spike. [Feminist.org]
- Neo-Nazis disrupted a pro-LGBT rights rally in Moscow this weekend. [Queerty]
- UK passport forms will update their options for same-sex parents, adding “parent one” and “parent two” in addition to “mother” and “father.” [BBC]
Do you have a story to submit to Today’s Lady News? Send it to me at [email protected]
You can follow me on Twitter at @JessicaWakeman.
5 Signs You Belong Together
We've all heard the old saying that there's someone out there for everyone. Here are a few signs you can look for to figure out just how well you and your partner mesh together.
3 Reasons to Stay Single
There are plenty of benefits to being in a relationship, but there are just as many reasons for staying single.
9 Sexual Communication Tips
Talking about sex can be stressful, Here are nine helpful tips to make it easier.
Top 5 Gifts for Couples
Are you looking for something you can share with your partner? Check out these great recommendations to find something that you'll both love.
Top 5 Gifts for Him
Not sure what to get your man? Check out some of the top gift ideas from the guys at Adam & Eve.
Indulge in a little "me time"
Adam & Eve Adult Toys. Always Discreet, Free Shipping and Bonus Gifts.