Today’s Lady News: French Women Say Au Revoir To “Mademoiselle”
- Parlez-vous feminism? French feminists are storming the Bastille (not really) over use of the honorific “mademoiselle,” which means “miss,” because they say it is demeaning to define women by their marital status. I wholeheartedly agree and appreciate the 1970s’ feminists who popularized use of the term “Ms.” as a general honorific for women. French feminists leading the protest are hoping “madame” will overtake “mademoiselle” as a counterpoint to “monsieur.” Good luck, ladies! I mean, women. Womyn? Wimmin? Just … good luck. [TIME]
- Obligatory “What’s Your Number?” article about a woman’s number of sex partners. BREAKING NEWS: it doesn’t matter. [Vancouver Sun]
- A seven-year-0ld girl responds to DC Comics’ sexed-up reboot of Starfire, an alien member of Teen Titans. (Thanks to reader Jim for the link!) [io9]
- Wal-Mart has added protections for transgender people, including gender identity and gender expression, to its employee non-discrimination policy. [Windy City Media Group]
- I encourage you to read this fascinating piece on “America’s fertility class divide,” which is a fancy way of saying how our social class seems to dictate our approach to procreation. [Slate]
- Yesterday, Ohio’s state House of Representatives introduced a bill to include “sexual orientation” and “gender identity” on the list of people protected from discrimination in employment and housing. The bill includes an exemption for religious institutions, which will let Christian schools off the hook if they want to fire gay and lesbian teachers. [Think Progress]
- Some black women are unconvinced they should be participating in SlutWalk protests, like the one taking place in NYC in Union Square at noon this Saturday. [Clutch Magazine]
5 Signs You Belong Together
We've all heard the old saying that there's someone out there for everyone. Here are a few signs you can look for to figure out just how well you and your partner mesh together.
3 Reasons to Stay Single
There are plenty of benefits to being in a relationship, but there are just as many reasons for staying single.
9 Sexual Communication Tips
Talking about sex can be stressful, Here are nine helpful tips to make it easier.
Top 5 Gifts for Couples
Are you looking for something you can share with your partner? Check out these great recommendations to find something that you'll both love.
Top 5 Gifts for Him
Not sure what to get your man? Check out some of the top gift ideas from the guys at Adam & Eve.
Indulge in a little "me time"
Adam & Eve Adult Toys. Always Discreet, Free Shipping and Bonus Gifts.