Today’s Lady News: Kansas Denies Planned Parenthood License To Perform Abortions
- The state of Kansas has denied Planned Parenthood a license to perform abortions, which means it is temporarily the only state in the nation where Planned Parenthood clinics have this restriction. This is terrifying, people. [NPR]
- Rhode Island’s state Senate has advanced a bill to legalize civil unions. It now heads to the governor’s desk, where Gov. Lincoln Chaffee, an independent, has said he will sign it. [Think Progress]
- Hotel maids are taking self-defense classes, following the recent alleged sexual assault of a New York City hotel maid by the former IMF chief, Dominique Strauss-Kahn. [New York Post]
- Seven underrated female comedy writers to watch. [The Mary Sue]
- The Health and Human Services Department announced yesterday it would begin collecting gender identity and sexual orientation data. [Feministing]
- Rep. Michele Bachmann, who is seeking the Republican nomination for president, has said that a miscarriage she once suffered is part of the reason she is anti-abortion. That is actually a fairly common point-of-view, I have found anecdotally, among people who believe abortion is wrong. [XX Facotor]
- A newspaper profiles a 19-year-old female prostitute. [Shreveport Times via Hay Ladies!]
- The Louisiana governor’s office has signed a law which would across-the-board downgrade the crime of prostitution to a misdemeanor and no longer requires sex workers to register as sex offenders. Previously, cops could charge sex workers with prostitution as a misdemeanor or with “crimes against nature,” which is a felony. Those crimes against nature included the radical, disturbing practices of anal and oral sex. My word! You mean people actually do that? [Feministing]
- This lesbians-only cruise is just about the cutest thing ever. [San Francisco Gate]
- If women ruled “World Of Warcraft.” [The Mary Sue]
- One blogger at XX Factor is disgusted by a piece on GOOD magazine’s web site by the female journalist Mac McClelland, who acted out a rape fantasy to help herself get over PTSD from witnessing violent sexual trauma while reporting in Haiti. “I’m annoyed that people are often more interested in a story about poor black people/poor black country/genocide in the Sudan/etc. when the central character in that story is a white person,” writes Marjorie Valbrun, who was born in Haiti and has reported from there extensively. Food for thought.
- Mexican drug cartels are luring in more women to work for them. [ABC News via Hay Ladies!]
5 Signs You Belong Together
We've all heard the old saying that there's someone out there for everyone. Here are a few signs you can look for to figure out just how well you and your partner mesh together.
3 Reasons to Stay Single
There are plenty of benefits to being in a relationship, but there are just as many reasons for staying single.
9 Sexual Communication Tips
Talking about sex can be stressful, Here are nine helpful tips to make it easier.
Top 5 Gifts for Couples
Are you looking for something you can share with your partner? Check out these great recommendations to find something that you'll both love.
Top 5 Gifts for Him
Not sure what to get your man? Check out some of the top gift ideas from the guys at Adam & Eve.
Indulge in a little "me time"
Adam & Eve Adult Toys. Always Discreet, Free Shipping and Bonus Gifts.