7 Shopping Pet Peeves
A couple weeks ago, Amelia wrote about five of her random pet peeves, from elevator button abusers to people who groan in yoga class. Today, I’d like to focus on my shopping pet peeves — the little things that can turn a routine shopping trip into an exercise in exasperation. I’d love to hear yours too, so please share them in the comments! 1. Overbearing Sales Associates: One of the biggest reasons I still do most of my shopping in store rather than online is the human connection. I love chatting with the store employees, getting help finding sizes, and talking about current trends. But when they start asking if I’m finding everything OK every 30 seconds, or throwing coral tube tops over the dressing room door, saying, “This would look SO cute on you,” it’s hard for me to not summon my inner Maury Povich guest and scream, “You don’t know me! You don’t know me! I would never wear coral!”
2. Unflattering Dressing Rooms: Have you ever stepped into a dressing room, looked in the mirror, and barely recognized yourself? “Have I always been so pale? Where did these undereye bags come from? And since when do I have the same body type as John Goodman?” Dressing rooms with fluorescent lighting and unfortunately placed mirrors guarantee that I’m going to leave without a making a purchase — and without any self-esteem left.
3. Over-flattering Dressing Rooms: While this doesn’t bother me quite as much, dressing rooms with skin-perfecting lights and supermodel-making mirrors are problematic in their own way. Suddenly that gauzy mini dress looks amazing … that is, until you get home and realize you’ve been bamboozled. Don’t even get me started on stores with over-flattering dressing rooms and a no-returns policy.
4. Bad Lighting: Whether it’s contributing to an unflattering dressing room situation or forcing me to squint at a sweater to determine if it’s black or navy blue, poor lighting is always annoying. Hollister, I’m talking to you!
5. Insensitive Dressing Room Neighbors: I will never forget the time I was shopping at Nordstrom and the girl in the dressing room next to me was loudly narrating her own shopping experience. “This size 4 skirt is huuuuuuuuge!” she yelled to her mom, who was sitting outside. “I’m not sure how anyone could fit into this! Seriously! I could fit the whole family in here!” She went on and on, unaware that I was just a few feet away, struggling to fit into a size 10. By the end of her rant she had named a few of the large land animals who might be able to wear such a massive size 4 garment, and I was on the verge of tears.
6. When The Perfect Dress Is Actually A Romper: As rompers and jumpsuits have gained in popularity, so has this previously unheard-of phenomenon. You’re exploring a rack of dresses when you find The One: it has the perfect neckline, a great print, and who can resist the swingy little skirt — oh, wait, that skirt has leg holes. Your dream dress is actually a romper. For me, an avowed romper hater, this is a major shopping boner killer.
7. Pushy Store Credit Card Pitches: I have a hard time saying no. But I really, really don’t want a store credit card.
OK, your turn! What are your shopping pet peeves?