Today’s Lady News: Gabrielle Giffords Released From Hospital
- Rep. Gabrielle Giffords was released from a Houston hospital yesterday after six months of recuperation for a bullet wound to the head inflicted by a mentally disturbed young man at a public event in Tucson on January 8. [The Week]
- New York City residents are staging a protest tonight after a police officer told a woman riding a bike in a short skirt that she was “distracting” drivers. Bicyclists are meeting at 7 p.m. in Columbus Circle — in short skirts, of course! [Gothamist]
- Remember that Philadelphia editor who blamed CBS reporter Lara Logan for her sexual assault while reporting in Egypt because she has great boobs? Change.org is calling for Dan Rottenberg to be fired and keep Philadelphians safe from his sexist victim-blaming. [Change.org]
- Wikileaks is auctioning off a date with accused rapist Julian Assange and … ew, I don’t need to know any more information than that. [Jezebel]
- A Catholic charity in St. Louis declined to host a fundraiser at Hooters because the “breastaurant” is not in line with the church’s values. I’d like to meet the moron who suggested this idea in the first place. [MSNBC]
- Undocumented immigrant women aren’t human beings? That seems to be the logic that Massachusetts State Rep. Ryan Fattman is operating under. Fattman told a reporter that women who are in the U.S. illegally should be afraid to come forward, even if they’ve been sexually assaulted, because they are not supposed to be here. [Mother Jones]
- A Long Island police officer was arrested yesterday after he allegedly forced a woman to grope him at a traffic stoop to avoid being ticketed. Officier Garrett Mannerz also commented on what she was wearing and asked for her phone number. [NY Daily News]
- The San Antonio Police Department is turning over nearly 6,000 untested rape kits to the state. [KENS 5 via Hay Ladies!]
- Rep. Michele Bachmann (R-MN), a Tea Party favorite for the presidential nomination, is publishing a memoir to be released in the fall. [Politico]
- Was Malcolm X a misogynist? [The Root]
- Jamie Lee Jones, the ex-Halliburton/KBR employee who was gang-raped while working as a contractor in Iraq, has finally begun her trial in Houston. I wish her all the best. [Wall Street Journal]
- Required LGBT reading, as suggested by writers who know a thing or two about books. [After Ellen]
- Tennis legend Billie Jean King stopped by the WNYC radio station for a chat. [WNYC]
- Women are bad drivers … or something … I’m sorry, but this sounds like a joke from a 1964 issue of Playboy. [NY Post]
- Queerty, the gay and lesbian blog that just relaunched, is aiming to be more female-friendly to its readers. The blog is actively soliciting suggestions on how it can improve its content by and for women. Any Queerty fans here? Go give them some tips. [Queerty]
- Is Beyoncé the face of contemporary feminism? (God, I hope not.) [Clutch Magazine]
- Meet newscaster/activist Bothaina Kamel, who is the first woman to run for president of Egypt in the country’s history. [Jezebel]
- A judge in the UK is hearing the case of a five-year-old girl who was trafficked from Nigeria and worked in domestic slavery for a British family for 10 years before she escaped. The girl is now 18 years old and fighting for benefits and support, although she is legally no longer a child. [Daily Mail UK]
- Several hospitals in the UK have released a strict new dress code for their staff. Women at hospitals in East and North Herts are banned from exposing cleavage or midriffs, as well as wearing miniskirts and leggings. All staff, male and female, are banned from wearing shorts and denim. What do you think of these kinds of dress codes? [The Sun UK]
5 Signs You Belong Together
We've all heard the old saying that there's someone out there for everyone. Here are a few signs you can look for to figure out just how well you and your partner mesh together.
3 Reasons to Stay Single
There are plenty of benefits to being in a relationship, but there are just as many reasons for staying single.
9 Sexual Communication Tips
Talking about sex can be stressful, Here are nine helpful tips to make it easier.
Top 5 Gifts for Couples
Are you looking for something you can share with your partner? Check out these great recommendations to find something that you'll both love.
Top 5 Gifts for Him
Not sure what to get your man? Check out some of the top gift ideas from the guys at Adam & Eve.
Indulge in a little "me time"
Adam & Eve Adult Toys. Always Discreet, Free Shipping and Bonus Gifts.