Today’s Lady News: Egyptians Protest “Virginity Tests” On Women
- Egyptians are holding an online protest tomorrow against the military’s use of “virginity tests” on female protestors (i.e. sexual assault). The Egyptian military claims it needs to test women for virginity to make sure they are not prostitutes, which, of course, serves as a deterrent for women to protest in the first place. [Guardian UK]
- Psychology Today apologized this weekend for publishing a racist blog post in which evolutionary psychologist Satoshi Kanzawa sought to explain that black women were less attractive than women of other races. [The Atlantic Wire]
- Manal al-Sharif, a Saudi women’s rights activist, has dropped her campaign to get women to break the law and drive cars on June 17. Al-Sharif was released from jail yesterday after being detained by Saudi police for a week. [The Atlantic Wire]
- Lawyer Gloria Allred will represent nine cocktail servers who claim they were fired so their Atlantic City casino could hire younger women to wear flapper costumes. [TMZ]
- The Badminton World Federation’s new rule requiring female players to wear skirts and dresses on the court to “sex up the sport” has been scrapped after an uproar. [BBC]
- Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor will earn nearly $1.2 million for her memoir, which will be released in both Spanish and English. [AP]
- Lt. Sherell Stanley, a police lieutenant in Detroit, has filed a sexual discrimination lawsuit alleging that the physical agility test for her police department’s special response team is biased against women. [Detroit Free Press]
- In more cops-doing-crappy-things news, a police officer in Detroit has been charged with sexual assault on a woman whom he had taken to a nearby hotel following a domestic dispute at her home. The officer dropped the woman off at the hotel at 1 a.m. to separate her from her husband, but returned two hours later and allegedly assaulted her. [Detroit News]
- Classes began earlier this month for the first-ever women to become Navy submariners. Congratulations, ladies! [Stars & Stripes]
- Attention, male politicians in Texas: Rep. Senfronia Thompson (D) is not going to take any s**t from you. Watch her impassioned speech from the floor of the state legislature and wise up. [Loose Garments]
- Old Navy is only selling their gay pride T-shirts, which donate proceeds to the It Gets Better campaign, in 16 states. Hmm, suspicious. [Queerty]
- Why are female science-fiction writers, with the exception of Ursula K. LeGuin, far less well-known than their male counterparts? Frisky readers who love sci-fi, feel free to weigh in on this in the comments. [Guardian UK]
- Check out this gay gal’s guide to summer TV! [After Ellen]
- What does comparing “Bridesmaids” to “The Hangover” reveal about Hollywood’s gender problem? [IndieWire]
- Martha Rivera Alanis, a kindergarten teacher in Monterrey, Mexico, has been given a civic award by her state for keeping her students calm while a gunfight occurred outside. Alanis captured on her phone how she kept all her kids lying on the floor and sang “Barney” songs to them. She posted the video on her Facebook page and it has since gone viral. I was crying by the end of it. [Guanabee]
- French civil service minister Georges Tron has stepped down following accusations of sexual assault by two women. [Guardian UK]
- Women are the most recent targets of a crackdown on Bahraini citizens’ rights. [NPR]
- Playboy is about to open a new club in London. But does anyone care about Playboy clubs anymore? [Guardian UK]
If you see a story that belongs in Today’s Lady News, send it to me at Jessica@TheFrisky.com.
5 Signs You Belong Together
We've all heard the old saying that there's someone out there for everyone. Here are a few signs you can look for to figure out just how well you and your partner mesh together.
3 Reasons to Stay Single
There are plenty of benefits to being in a relationship, but there are just as many reasons for staying single.
9 Sexual Communication Tips
Talking about sex can be stressful, Here are nine helpful tips to make it easier.
Top 5 Gifts for Couples
Are you looking for something you can share with your partner? Check out these great recommendations to find something that you'll both love.
Top 5 Gifts for Him
Not sure what to get your man? Check out some of the top gift ideas from the guys at Adam & Eve.
Indulge in a little "me time"
Adam & Eve Adult Toys. Always Discreet, Free Shipping and Bonus Gifts.