The Frisky’s Top 12 eBay Finds Of The Week
This week’s eBay picks include Alexander McQueen, Jeff Koons, and Derek Lam And yes, we just dropped a few names on you! Check out our awesome selections after the jump!1. Alexander McQueen Silk Evening Gown: “Alexander McQueen: Savage Beauty” opened at The Costume Institute at the Metropolitan Museum in New York earlier this month to rave reviews and unprecedented attendance. The exhibit includes over 100 examples of the late designers spectacular work. This one-shoulder silk gown is a beautifully tailored example of the label’s luxe eveningwear.
2. Epoxy Egg Beginner Surfboard: The surfing craze is sweeping the nation. Last week The New York Times Magazine “T” blog posted surf-related articles, from gear to fashion to surf hot spots, every day. This cheerfully graphic surfboard is perfect for a beginner who wants to learn on mid-sized board.
3. Modern Pop Dog Balloon Bookend: Based on children’s balloon animals, and channeling the irreverent vibe of a Jeff Koons sculpture, this bookend will look great anywhere in the house. It may even help encourage the kids to plow through their summer reading list.
4. Trina Turk Maillot Swim Suit: You don’t need to flaunt an itty-bitty bikini to wow. This boho print one-piece by California-based designer Trina Turk is more modest, but just as fun.
5. Modalu Bristol Black Leather Grab Shoulder Bag: The public simply cannot get enough of Pippa Middleton. First it was the supremely chic bottom-hugging bridesmaid dress. But things have gotten a bit ridiculous. It’s been widely reported in the blogosphere that British department store Debenhams saw sales of fake tanners spike on the afternoon of the royal wedding. We’re more interested in her sartorial style, however. The day after the wedding, the little sis was seen carrying this Modalu purse in gray. According to People magazine, it’s now called the “Pippa” bag.
6. Woody Allen Movie Collection: Woody Allen’s new comedy, “Midnight in Paris”, debuted this weekend, and is said to be thoroughly entertaining. Brush up on past flicks with this 44 DVD set, complete with hits from every decade, including “Annie Hall” (1977), “Hannah and Her Sisters” (1986), “Mighty Aphrodite” (1995), and “Match Point” (2005).
7. Set of Two Vintage Danish Wood Arm Chairs: The cover of the current Elle Décor magazine features the primary colored modern living room in a Tribeca loft. Included in the sleek. mid-century furnishings are a pair of cobalt blue armchairs by Parisian furniture designer Pierre Guarich. These Danish dandies are not quite as plush, but the color is incredible, as is the price.
8. The Sun Dress by Derek Lam + eBay: This flirty indigo cotton dress by Derek Lam, available exclusively on eBay, was part of a “crowdsourced” collection chosen by vote from fans. This is one of three styles left out of five produced. Next up for the designer? He’s launching a diffusion line called 10 Crosby Derek Lam, set to hit stores in November.
9. The Mighty Thor #356 by Walt Simonson (1985): If the kids are begging to see Kenneth Branagh’s new blockbuster, “Thor”, but the PG-13 rating is out of the question, try to quell their comic book cravings with the real thing. eBay has a huge assortment of super hero strips, from vintage collectibles to inexpensive reads.
10. Jonathan Adler Correspondence Cards: When you visit friends this summer, in addition to bringing a great hostess gift and not overstaying your welcome, be sure to say “thank you” with a handwritten note. Like everything else Jonathan Adler designs, these summery cards expertly mix modern style with whimsy.
11. Lady Beach Cruiser Bicycle in Mint Green: Water sports might be de rigeur, but if you’re happier on land, pick up an easy ride, like this classic and comfortable bike. Add basket and set off on a picnic.
12. Temple St. Clair for Target Yellow Jewel Pear Drop Earrings: This past Saturday the Wall Street Journal published an interview with jewelry designer Temple St. Clair, who, we learn, would never wear coral and is not impressed by diamonds. While her creations are generally pricey, eBay has a number of her costume pieces from last fall’s collaboration with Target, including these pear-shaped drop earrings.