We have ourselves a new Tom Buchanan, folks. It has just been announced that Aussie actor, Joel Edgerton, will be replacing Ben Affleck in Baz Luhrmann’s 3D version of “The Great Gatsby.” Affleck, who dropped out because of scheduling conflicts, is just the kind of A-Lister we would expect to see amongst the all-star cast, which includes Leonardo DiCaprio, Tobey Maguire, and Carey Mulligan. So who is this guy tackling the role of Tom, Daisy’s millionaire, white supremacist husband? After the jump, five things you should know about Joel Edgerton, a guy you’re going to be seeing a whole lot of on the silver screen.
- We may not have seen much of the New South Wales native here in the States, but he is a huge television, film, and theater star down under, most well-recognized for his roll on the hit Aussie television show, “Secret Life of Us.” His performance in the movie “Animal Kingdom” put him on the map in Hollywood. [IMDB]
- Joel nearly landed the role of Martin, the new hero in the “Bourne” franchise—minus Matt Damon—but the part was snagged by Jeremy Renner. Hey, everything works out for a reason. This left Joel’s schedule wide open for “The Great Gatsby.” [NY Mag]
- Who cares that the “Bourne” franchise passed him over? Joel’s career is literally about to explode. He has four films coming out this year: “The Cartographer,” “Warrior,” “Say Nothing,” and “The Thing.” Also, Oscar winning director Kathryn Bigelow nabbed Joel to play the role of a special-ops agent hunting Osama Bin Laden in her next film, “Kill Bin Laden.” [NBC]
- If you are a “Star Wars” junkie, you may recognize Joel. He played Uncle Owen in “Attack of the Clones” and “Revenge of the Sith.” His brother Nash Edgerton was also in on the fun. Nash was Ewan McGregor’s stunt double in “Attack of the Clones.” Joel and Nash worked together again on the 2008 film, “The Square.” The talented siblings co-wrote the script. Joel acted in it and Nash directed it. [IMDB]
- The single ladies of Hollywood must be drooling as this hunky 37-year-old appears to be single at the moment, although he may just have a relationship that he’s not fessing up to. We hope not. In the past he has been linked to Olympic gold medalist, Cathy Freeman, and actresses Isabel Lucas and Robin McLeavy. [Pop Sugar]