Today’s Lady News: Dominique Strauss-Kahn, Head Of The IMF, Arrested For Attempted Rape
- This weekend, Dominique Strauss-Kahn, the head of the International Monetary Fund, was arrested in New York, minutes before his flight to France took off, for the alleged attempted rape of a hotel maid. The bigwhig in French politics allegedly sexually abused a 32-year-old maid who came into his room at the Sofitel hotel in NYC to clean; he allegedly attempted to rape her and forced her to perform oral sex on him. He has been charged with attempted rape, forcible touching, sexual abuse, and unlawful imprisonment, among other charges. Dominique Strauss-Kahn has been denied a $1 million bail. The lawyer for French journalist Tristane Banon also announced her intention to file sexual assault charges against Dominique dating back to an incident in 2002. [Guardian UK]
- Everyone wants to see movies with smart, strong and funny female characters succeed. But is “Bridesmaids” under too much pressure to make movie history? The fabulous feminist film critic Jenni Miller investigates. [Movies.com]
- A Maryland grand jury has indicted two teenagers on hate crime charges after they physically assaulted Chrissy Lee Polis, a transgender woman, in a McDonalds. [The Grio]
- Amy Myers, a New Jersey high school student, has challenged Rep. Michele Bachmann (R-MN) to a debate on civics and the Constitution. That’s awesome! [The Root]
- Sara Quin from the band Tegan and Sara penned an open letter on their web site to the rapper Tyler The Creator for his blatantly homophobic lyrics and casual use of the word “fa**ot.” Tyler The Creator responded on Twitter with the same level of maturity that Chris Brown usually does. [After Ellen]
- Meet the 10 most powerful women in the TV business! [AdWeek]
- What’s it like to be a lesbian icon for teen girls? “Glee”‘s Naya Rivera — one half of the Brittany/Santana duo — opened up to After Ellen. [After Ellen]
- Actress Mary Murphy of the “The Wild One,” also starring Marlon Brando, died earlier this month at age 80. [PopEater]
- An Afghani woman, Zarghuna Kargar, tells the UK’s Guardian how her family escaped life under the Taliban to live in the UK, but she was still expected to be in an arranged marriage at age 16 to a distant relative she had ever met. After three years of a miserable marriage, she finally escaped. [Guardian UK]
- Meet a Saudi Arabian woman who is defying the country’s ban on women driving by getting behind the wheel. [Bangkok Post]
- Speaking of Saudi Arabia, the country’s King Abdullah has opened the world’s largest women-only university, Princess Nora bint Abdulrahman University. The school will be women-only because the sexes are strictly segregated in Saudi Arabian public life. This school will have 15 departments and a capacity to educate 50,000 students. [AFP]
- “Miss Bala,” a film about a wannabe Mexican beauty queen who gets caught up in drug trafficking, is screening today at the Cannes Film Festival in France. [Guanabee]
5 Signs You Belong Together
We've all heard the old saying that there's someone out there for everyone. Here are a few signs you can look for to figure out just how well you and your partner mesh together.
3 Reasons to Stay Single
There are plenty of benefits to being in a relationship, but there are just as many reasons for staying single.
9 Sexual Communication Tips
Talking about sex can be stressful, Here are nine helpful tips to make it easier.
Top 5 Gifts for Couples
Are you looking for something you can share with your partner? Check out these great recommendations to find something that you'll both love.
Top 5 Gifts for Him
Not sure what to get your man? Check out some of the top gift ideas from the guys at Adam & Eve.
Indulge in a little "me time"
Adam & Eve Adult Toys. Always Discreet, Free Shipping and Bonus Gifts.