Today’s Lady News: Indiana Cuts Funding To Planned Parenthood
- Millions in funding for Planned Parenthood clinics in Indiana has been cut off after Governor Mitch Daniels signed a bill yesterday, affecting services like STD testing, birth control, and cancer screenings via Pap smears. Indiana has become the first state in the U.S. to cut funding from PP clinics — the new pet project of anti-abortion activists. A federal judge refused PP’s request to block the law from going into effect earlier today. [The Root, Yahoo News]
- Last month, the chief of Navy chaplains instructed that same sex marriages could be performed on Naval bases if the marriages would be legal within the state the base resides. Yesterday. the Navy reversed its decision on same sex marriages on Navy bases, reportedly due to an outcry from Republican lawmakers. [Advocate]
- Out of concern for modesty, a hipster website removed all the sexually suggestive men from this photograph of the Situation Room. I’m sure everyone will understand, right? [Free Wililamsburg]
- Women, especially Latinas and low-income women, have been hit hardest by high health care costs in the weak economy, according to the Commonwealth Fund’s 2010 Biennial Health Insurance Survey. The study also found nearly one in three women between the ages of 19 and 64 did not have health insurance in 2010. (Side note: I was one of them.) [ABC News]
- Google’s homepage honored Martha Graham, the “mother of modern dance,” whose 117th birthday is today. [Geek.com]
- New Jersey State Senator Loretta Weinberg hosted a panel discussion of health care providers and Democratic lawmakers to address how NJ Governor Chris Christie’s health care cuts to family planning services, like birth control, are a “war against women.” [NJ.com]
- The Presbyterian Church voted yesterday to ordain gay ministers, elders and deacons. [New York Times]
- Do myths about masculinity put black met at a great risk for HIV? [The Grio]
- MIT’s Women and Gender Studies program set up a photo booth for guests at their open house to snap pics while holding a sign that read, “This is what a feminist looks like.” [After Ellen]
- This is an awesome post on body image blog Adios Barbie about “save the boobies” bracelets and the sexy-fication of breast cancer. [Adios Barbie]
- Over 400,000 women are raped each year in the Democratic Republic of Congo, according to a study published today in The American Journal of Public Health. Rape is often used as a weapon of war in the DRC. However, the United Nations disputes the findings of this study. [Reuters]
- A pastor who has vocally supported Uganda’s anti-homosexuality bill said that the death penalty should not be included as a punishment for “homosexual behavior.” Um, that doesn’t really make the bill much better, dude. [BBC]
- Project Prevention, an American aid organization, is paying HIV-positive women in Kenya $40 to get an IUD in an attempt to curb the spread of aids. [The Nation]
- Meet Tova Hartman, a Jewish scholar and psychologist who operates Shira Hadasha, a feminist Orthodox synagogue — yes, it’s both — in Jerusalem. Women lead the services. [Beliefnet]
- Women in Morocco are fighting for their rightful inheritances to collective lands. [Guardian UK]
- As the Cannes Film Festival begins, let’s check in with female directors in attendance. [Guardian UK]
- Tupperware is relaunching in the UK after 50 years. Here’s a look back on how, at mid-century, Tupperware parties may have changed middle class women’s lives. [BBC]
5 Signs You Belong Together
We've all heard the old saying that there's someone out there for everyone. Here are a few signs you can look for to figure out just how well you and your partner mesh together.
3 Reasons to Stay Single
There are plenty of benefits to being in a relationship, but there are just as many reasons for staying single.
9 Sexual Communication Tips
Talking about sex can be stressful, Here are nine helpful tips to make it easier.
Top 5 Gifts for Couples
Are you looking for something you can share with your partner? Check out these great recommendations to find something that you'll both love.
Top 5 Gifts for Him
Not sure what to get your man? Check out some of the top gift ideas from the guys at Adam & Eve.
Indulge in a little "me time"
Adam & Eve Adult Toys. Always Discreet, Free Shipping and Bonus Gifts.