Today’s Lady News: Oklahoma’s Governor Signs Two Anti-Abortion Bills
- Oklahoma’s Governor Mary Fallin, a Republican, has signed two bills that will restrict abortion rights even further. One bans abortions after 20 week of pregnancy, based on the (false) claim touted by anti-abortion activists that 20 weeks is the point after which a fetus can feel pain. That bill makes an exemption if the mother’s life is at risk or if a major bodily organ would be impaired by the pregnancy. The second bill that Fallin signed would forbid insurance plans in OK to cover elective abortions under Obama’s new health care reform law. [Salon.com]
- TIME magazine profiled 34 women in its 2011 “TIME 100″ spread of the world’s most influential people. (Last year the mag profiled 31 women). I’m particularly taken with this piece on Planned Parenthood’s Cecile Richards, written up by Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D-CA). [TIME]
- Chrysanthe Tenentes, the community manager at FourSquare, the social networking check-in site, gets profiled by Capital New York. Yay for more recognition of women in tech! [Capital New York]
- Vintage Maidenform bra ads get a round of applause in this very interesting AdWeek analysis of how to sell lingerie to women — while Victoria’s Secret’s latest ad starring Adriana Lima gets panned as ho-hum. [AdWeek]
- Several women are recipients of the Sidney Hillman Foundation prize for exemplary reporting on social and economic justice issues, which comes with a financial prize. Isabel Wilkerson won for her book, The Warmth of Other Suns, about the migration of blacks to the North during the 20th century; Mona Reeder for her video and photography piece “A Surgery Gone Wrong: A Life Changed Forever,” about students and interns in hospitals treating poor and uninsured patients without their consent, in The Dallas Morning News ; and the staff of the feminist blog, Feministing.com, including Frisky contributors Chloe Angyal and Miriam Zoila Pérez. [Sidney Hillman Foundation]
- Malaysia set up a camp to “correct” 66 Muslim school boys’ effeminate behavior, like wearing womens’ clothing. The boys, ages 13 to 17, apparently caused concern in education officials because they may be gay or transexual. (Gay sex is illegal in Malaysia.) How terribly sad. [Washington Post]
5 Signs You Belong Together
We've all heard the old saying that there's someone out there for everyone. Here are a few signs you can look for to figure out just how well you and your partner mesh together.
3 Reasons to Stay Single
There are plenty of benefits to being in a relationship, but there are just as many reasons for staying single.
9 Sexual Communication Tips
Talking about sex can be stressful, Here are nine helpful tips to make it easier.
Top 5 Gifts for Couples
Are you looking for something you can share with your partner? Check out these great recommendations to find something that you'll both love.
Top 5 Gifts for Him
Not sure what to get your man? Check out some of the top gift ideas from the guys at Adam & Eve.
Indulge in a little "me time"
Adam & Eve Adult Toys. Always Discreet, Free Shipping and Bonus Gifts.