Today’s Lady News: This Is What A Life-Size Barbie Looks Like
- This is what the proportions of a life-size Barbie doll would look like. She’s made by anorexia survivor Galia Slayen and stands 6 feet tall with a 39″ bust, 18″ waist and 33″ hips. Barbie wears a size 00 skirt that Galia used to wear when she was sick from her eating disorder. This year, Galia displayed Barbie at her school, Hamilton College, during its first National Eating Disorders Awareness Week. [MSNBC]
- California’s state Senate passed a bill yesterday that would mandate public schools’ history classes teach students about gay, lesbian and transgender icons. (FWIW, Asian/Pacific Islanders and people with disabilities would also be required in the curriculum.) [The Week, San Fransisco Chronicle]
- France may make it illegal to pay for sex, in order to criminalize clients of sex workers. Proponents of such legislation say it will help sex trafficking victims, who they claim account for 80 percent of sex workers. [Guardian UK]
- Kotex is coaching moms on how to talk to their eight- and nine-year-olds about dealing with their first period. [New York Times]
- North Carolina lawmakers are considering cutting funding for cervical and breast cancer screenings for uninsured and underinsured women to close a $3 billion budget gap. The program helps nearly 6,000 women each year. (Thanks to commenter LR5218 for the link!) [NBC17]
- Police say a 16-year-old Illinois girl named Zaineb Chaudhary ran away from home on March 11 to avoid an arranged marriage set up by her Pakistani father. She may have posed online as older than her age and gone to hide away with a 30something man. [Fox News]
- A cop with the San Diego Police Department has been fired after five women claimed he tried to get sexual favors from them during traffic stops. [Sand Deigo 6]
- Women in Alaska earned 76 cents for every dollar earned by a man during 2009, according to new data from a fairness advocacy group. [Alaska Dispatch]
- In more Alaska news, Alaska Native women are more likely to be victims of sexual assault than any other group there, according to experts on sexual violence. [KTVA]
- A 20-year-old transgender woman was recently beaten on a Friday night near a BART station in San Francisco. LGBT rights supports are holding a rally tonight at City Hall at 6 p.m. PST. [SFist]
- Has President Obama been “rudderless” without Rep. Nancy Pelosi as Speaker of the House? [The Week]
- Read more about the sad story of Bei Bei Shuai, the pregnant Indiana woman who tried to commit suicide but lived and ended up in jail when her fetus died. [The Daily Beast]
- The claims process has been opened by the Farm Service Agency for Latino and women farmers who say they were discriminated against when seeking loans from the U.S. Department of Agriculture. [BusinessWeek]
- Black journalist Belva Davis looks back on her 40-year-long career in her new memoir, Never In My Wildest Dreams: A Black Woman’s Life in Journalism. [The Root]
- Ex-stripper Lily Burana penned an essay about the sisterhood backstage at strip clubs. [Salon]
- Mariel Loveland of Candy Hearts talks about dealing with sexism in the punk scene. [PunkNews.org]
- Neither Amelia nor I understand what this Spanish political ad for candidate Sole Sanchez Mohammed is about. Boobs … hands … nipples … it’s all so confusing. Maybe this should be Charlie Sheen’s tour poster instead? [Guanabee]
If you see a story that belongs in Today’s Lady News, send it to me at [email protected]
5 Signs You Belong Together
We've all heard the old saying that there's someone out there for everyone. Here are a few signs you can look for to figure out just how well you and your partner mesh together.
3 Reasons to Stay Single
There are plenty of benefits to being in a relationship, but there are just as many reasons for staying single.
9 Sexual Communication Tips
Talking about sex can be stressful, Here are nine helpful tips to make it easier.
Top 5 Gifts for Couples
Are you looking for something you can share with your partner? Check out these great recommendations to find something that you'll both love.
Top 5 Gifts for Him
Not sure what to get your man? Check out some of the top gift ideas from the guys at Adam & Eve.
Indulge in a little "me time"
Adam & Eve Adult Toys. Always Discreet, Free Shipping and Bonus Gifts.