Today’s Lady News: Tina Fey & Jane Curtain Talk Sexism At “Saturday Night Live”
- Oprah Winfrey invited the lovely Tina Fey, Jane Curtain, Tracy Morgan, Dana Carvey and Chevy Chase as guests for a show about “Saturday Night Live.” It turns out that John Belushi was a sexist jerk, his former co-star Jane Curtain revealed. “[Belushi] said, ‘Women are just fundamentally not funny,'” Curtain recalled. “He felt as though it was his duty to sabotage pieces that were written by women.” Wow, I never thought an episode of “Oprah” would make me feel stabby. [NYmag.com Vulture]
- I can’t even begin to describe the stupidity you will witness if you click this link, but I will tell you it involves Glenn Beck, Planned Parenthood, and the word “hookers.” You’ve been warned. [Huffington Post]
- The American Library Association’s list of the top 10 most challenged books of 2010 is out and nearly all were written by women! Let’s hear it for Lush by Natashas Friend, The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins, Twilight by Stephenie Meyer, Crank, by Ellen Hopkins, Nickel and Dimed by Barbara Ehrenreich, What My Mother Doesn’t Know, by Sonya Sones, and Revolutionary Voices: A Multicultural Queer Youth Anthology, edited by Amy Sonnie. [Guardian UK]
- Black women’s hair loss may be tied to wearing very tight weaves or braids, according to a small study published in the Archives of Dermatology. (Tangentially related movie suggestion: go see Chris Rock’s documentary, “Good Hair”!) [The Grio, Reuters]
- Much love for Mick Foley, a former WWE wrestler (Mankind) who now volunteers for the Rape Incest and Abuse National Network. [Guardian UK]
- Chicago-dwelling Frisky readers may want to check out this April 14 event about sex trafficking at the Jane Addams Hull House Museum. [UIC.edu]
- How kickass is Beatrice Payne, a 102-year-old Baltimore lady who goes bowling every weekend? [The Grio]
- Britain’s Advertising Standards Authority has been known to squash ads it deems inappropriate. But for some reason, it has declined to act on this Miu Miu ad, despite complaints the uber-skinny model is frighteningly bony. [Styleite]
- White Teeth author Zadie Smith has lost a battle to save Kensal Rise, a library in northwest London (which was opened by Mark Twain in 1900). The local government in Brent has opted to shut down six (or half) of its libraries, presumably as a cost-cutting measure. How despairing. [Guardian UK]
- Syrian women have demanded the release of their loved ones who’ve been detained after participating in protests. [New York Times]
- How would France’s newly enacted ban on the burqa stand up in European’s court of human rights? [Guardian UK]
5 Signs You Belong Together
We've all heard the old saying that there's someone out there for everyone. Here are a few signs you can look for to figure out just how well you and your partner mesh together.
3 Reasons to Stay Single
There are plenty of benefits to being in a relationship, but there are just as many reasons for staying single.
9 Sexual Communication Tips
Talking about sex can be stressful, Here are nine helpful tips to make it easier.
Top 5 Gifts for Couples
Are you looking for something you can share with your partner? Check out these great recommendations to find something that you'll both love.
Top 5 Gifts for Him
Not sure what to get your man? Check out some of the top gift ideas from the guys at Adam & Eve.
Indulge in a little "me time"
Adam & Eve Adult Toys. Always Discreet, Free Shipping and Bonus Gifts.