Today’s Lady News: Texas A&M Wins Women’s NCAA Championship
- Texas A&M beat out Notre Dame for the women’s NCAA basketball championship on Tuesday, the team’s first national title. Congratulations! If someone who knows/cares about sports can explain to me the significance of this, I would appreciate it. [ESPN, Houston Chronicle]
- Apparently, Tina Fey’s pregnancy presents a “feminist dilemma”? [Salon]
- Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz (D-FL) was named chairwoman of the Democratic National Committee, prompting a colleague, Rep. Jim McDermott (D-WA), to praise her good qualities on C-SPAN but also suggest the position was “going to strain her.” Some wonder whether Rep. McDermott may have made the same comment if a male representative had been named. [Politico]
- One more note on Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz’s appointment: Donna Brazile, a former advisor to President Bill Clinton, will serve as chairwoman of the DNC in the interim. [The Root]
- The number of women-owned businesses has risen 50 percent since 1997, according to The American Express Co. OPEN State of Women-Owned Businesses Report. Women-owned businesses also outperformed male businesses in all fields. [Reuters]
- Picerne Military Housing has apologized to Jess Lanham, a military spouse whose husband is serving in Afghanistan, who was admonished for breastfeeding her child on the base of Fort Bragg. Mothers are allowed to breast feed in public and private in North Carolina and they are also allowed to breast feed in federal buildings. [Fayette Observer]
- Cathie Black, a former executive for Hearst Magazines, will step down as New York City’s schools’ chancellor after a brief and controversial tenure. Many had wondered why NYC Mayor Michael Bloomberg appointed a magazine exec (whose kids attended private school) to run America’s largest public school system. [New York Times]
- The FBI has released 287 pages of documents from the FBI file of threats against the late Dr. George Tiller, an abortion provider who was hounded by anti-abortion extremists and eventually murdered in Wichita, Kansas, in 2009. [Feministing]
- “The Vagina Monologues” playwright Eve Ensler will receive the 2011 Isabelle Stevenson Award, as special recognition for her activism against sexual violence towards women, at the Tony Awards ceremony on June 12. You can read more about Eve Ensler and her organization, V-Day, here. [TonyAwards.com]
- Julie Taymor, victim of sexism? Stage actor Henry Lennix took to a Huffington Post blog post to claim Julie Taymor was fired as director of her beleaguered Broadway musical, “Spider-Man: Turn Off The Dark” because she was made a “whipping girl” and a male director wouldn’t have been canned. Theater nerds, what do you think? [Film Drunk]
- Soccer player Julie Foudy on why a love of sports feeds her soul. (Even non-athletes like myself may enjoy this.) [ESPN]
- Feministe blogger Jill Filipovic takes down CNN blogger Ian Kerner’s argument that women cheat for love while men cheat for sex. [Feministe.us]
- These are the 10 states with the most shocking anti-woman legislation, courtesy of writer Amanda Marcotte. [Alternet]
- Artist Jessica Riva Cooper will bring her feminist spin on Jewish folklore to a gallery in Brandeis University’s women’s studies center this spring. [Brandeis Now]
- Gospel singer DeJuaii Pace came out of the closet as a lesbian at 45 and is now dealing with her food addiction on “Addicted to Food” on the OWN network. [The Root]
- Eighty-nine-year-old Betty White, who has enjoyed a long career, said that earlier in her career nothing was holding her back from success, including her gender, and instead “the sexism started later.” Intersting. [Daily Mail UK]
- Fatma Bostan Unsal of Turkey wants to run for the country’s parliament, but is butting up against the secular government’s rule against wearing Islamic headscarves in governmental settings. [Seattle Post-Intelligencer]
5 Signs You Belong Together
We've all heard the old saying that there's someone out there for everyone. Here are a few signs you can look for to figure out just how well you and your partner mesh together.
3 Reasons to Stay Single
There are plenty of benefits to being in a relationship, but there are just as many reasons for staying single.
9 Sexual Communication Tips
Talking about sex can be stressful, Here are nine helpful tips to make it easier.
Top 5 Gifts for Couples
Are you looking for something you can share with your partner? Check out these great recommendations to find something that you'll both love.
Top 5 Gifts for Him
Not sure what to get your man? Check out some of the top gift ideas from the guys at Adam & Eve.
Indulge in a little "me time"
Adam & Eve Adult Toys. Always Discreet, Free Shipping and Bonus Gifts.