Today’s Lady News: Iowa’s House Passes Ban On Abortions After 20 Weeks
- Iowa’s House of Representatives advanced a bill to ban abortions after 20 weeks of pregnancy, based on the claim touted by anti-abortion activists that after 20 weeks a fetus can feel pain. The bill only offers an exception to save the life of the mother. It now heads to Iowa’s Democrat-controlled Senate, where it is unclear whether it will pass. [Reuters]
- The International Olympic Committee announced today it would add women’s ski jumping to the 2014 Olympics. Last year, women ski jumpers filed a lawsuit in Canada to compete in the 2010 Vancouver Olympics, but lost. [New York Times]
- The CEO of Gearbox, which created the sexist video game Duke Nukem Forever, in which players get to slap women across the face to “calm them down,” says Duke isn’t “misogynist,” he’s just “ego-centric,” and that’s why the character acts so macho. Mansplaining at its finest! [Escapist Magazine]
- Texas’ House of Representatives passed an amendment on Friday to establish “Student Centers for Family and Traditional Values” at universities, presumably to counteract the ill effects of the LGBT and women’s centers. [Hay Ladies]
- More Texas news: Texas’ House of Representatives voted on Friday to restore millions in funding to crisis pregnancy centers — i.e., anti-abortion facilities that “counsel” women against having abortions. The amendment the House approved diverted over $7 million from family planning services to the Alternatives to Abortion Services Program. Yes, that makes perfect sense: Instead of family planning services to keep women and girls from getting pregnant, let’s put money into dissuading them from having abortions. [Washington Independent]
- Remember that 12-year-old boy from Staten Island who assaulted a Muslim classmate, attempting to rip off her veil? He had an accomplice. A 13-year-old female classmate has been arrested and charged with a hate crime after she allegedly helped him try to rip off the victim’s veil and called her a “terrorist.” Kids are learning this behavior from somewhere, people! [News One]
- The American Civil Liberties Union of Florida is (jokingly) encouraging women to incorporate their uteruses to protect against government intrusion, given the state has an appalling amount of bills intending to restrict women’s reproduction currently under consideration. [Mother Jones]
- Black women have the highest rate of children borne by multiple fathers, according to the National Longitudinal Study of Youth, followed by Latinos and then Caucasians. [Black Voices]
- An anti-abortion group in Wausau, Wisconsin, threatened a lawsuit after a library official told them they could not screen an anti-abortion propaganda film called “Blood Money” at the library because it would upset patrons. Frankly, I agree with the group that they should be able to hold an event and screen their film just like anybody else. [WSAW]
- Meet Kamala Harris, the first female and minority attorney general in California, whom some call “the female Barack Obama.” [The Grio]
- Feministing co-founder/blogger Jessica Valenti was recently the keynote speaker at the National Abortion Rights Action League’s 2011 Power of Choice Luncheon. You can watch her speech at the link. [YouTube]
- Here’s a meditation on women chefs in the Bay Area. Any women chefs care to weigh in? [San Francisco Gate]
- Janelle Monaé speaks to her humble upbringings — her mother was a janitor, her father drove a trash truck — and how it inspired her to work hard for her dreams. She also has some interesting things to say about being an African-American woman and feeling like the “other” in society. [Racialicious]
- There’s going to be a lesbian wedding on “Grey’s Anatomy” on May 5! Check out the first photos of brides Callie and Arizona that ABC has released. [After Ellen]
- Islamists in Bangladesh recently protested against women’s rights, apparently because empowering women is against the teachings of the Koran. [CNN]
- U.S. Ambassador Heather Hodges is being expelled from Ecuador after comments she made about the country’s president were exposed by Wikileaks. [Guanabee]
5 Signs You Belong Together
We've all heard the old saying that there's someone out there for everyone. Here are a few signs you can look for to figure out just how well you and your partner mesh together.
3 Reasons to Stay Single
There are plenty of benefits to being in a relationship, but there are just as many reasons for staying single.
9 Sexual Communication Tips
Talking about sex can be stressful, Here are nine helpful tips to make it easier.
Top 5 Gifts for Couples
Are you looking for something you can share with your partner? Check out these great recommendations to find something that you'll both love.
Top 5 Gifts for Him
Not sure what to get your man? Check out some of the top gift ideas from the guys at Adam & Eve.
Indulge in a little "me time"
Adam & Eve Adult Toys. Always Discreet, Free Shipping and Bonus Gifts.