Today’s Lady News: Hijab-Wearing Muslim Girl In NY Assaulted By A Classmate
- A Muslim girl on Staten Island in New York was shoved, punched, kicked and had her hijab (headscarf) nearly pulled off by a 12-year-old classmate, , reportedly because of her religion. The young boy had allegedly been harassing her for months and has been charged with a hate crime, which is a felony. People, this boy is IN THE SIXTH GRADE. [Gothamist, Staten Island Advance]
- The New York Times has published a follow-up piece to the victim-blaming crapshow it ran earlier this month about an 11-year-old girl in Cleveland, Texas, who was gang raped by 19 boys and men. The editors and/or reporter felt it necessary to mention that the girl wore makeup and dressed like she was older than 11. Let’s hope this one is a bit better? [New York Times]
- Controversial writer/public intellectual Katie Roiphe asks, Is Tina Fey good for feminism? Uh oh, we’ve had this argument before. [Slate]
- The Gossip’s Beth Ditto says Miss Piggy is one of her favorite feminist heroes. LOVE! [Aux.TV]
- For the more intellectual gender studies wonks who read Today’s Lady News, here’s an excellent piece on the concepts of “situational” versus “relative” privilege. [Shakesville]
- Arguing about Chris Brown’s doucheiness is now straight-up messing with people’s relationships. [Crunk Feminist Collective]
- Reminder: there is not necessarily a correlation between what you look like/how much you weight and how healthy you are. [Already Pretty]
- Check out the six most absurd safe sex campaigns ever. Um, can “abstinence only” be one of them? [Crushable]
- Hustler is facing nearly $15,000 in fines for not forcing its male actors to wear condoms, as per law, to prevent the spread of STDs. [Daily Mail UK]
- Who’d have thunk the percentage of women farmers in the U.S. is now in the double digits? Women comprise 14 percent of our country’s farmers, compared with only 5 percent back in the ’80s. [NPR]
- How could a church be against shelters for women and children?! [Ms. Magazine]
- Who’s your favorite female TV character? I say Lucy Ricardo. [TV Squad]
- Speaking of TV, some of “Top Chef”‘s female contestants say that sexist double standards played a role in why they didn’t get further on the show. [Yahoo Shine]
- Attention, Frisky readers in the New York City area: a conference honoring the late rock ‘n roll writer/feminist activist Ellen Willis will be held on April 30 at NYU. It’s free, but you need to RSVP in advance. [Ellen Willis 2011 Blogspot]
If you see a story that belongs in Today’s Lady News, please send it to me at [email protected] Thanks!
5 Signs You Belong Together
We've all heard the old saying that there's someone out there for everyone. Here are a few signs you can look for to figure out just how well you and your partner mesh together.
3 Reasons to Stay Single
There are plenty of benefits to being in a relationship, but there are just as many reasons for staying single.
9 Sexual Communication Tips
Talking about sex can be stressful, Here are nine helpful tips to make it easier.
Top 5 Gifts for Couples
Are you looking for something you can share with your partner? Check out these great recommendations to find something that you'll both love.
Top 5 Gifts for Him
Not sure what to get your man? Check out some of the top gift ideas from the guys at Adam & Eve.
Indulge in a little "me time"
Adam & Eve Adult Toys. Always Discreet, Free Shipping and Bonus Gifts.