Today’s Lady News: Defunding Planned Parenthood “Goes Too Far,” Says Sane, Reasonable Politician
- Senator Scott Brown (R-MA) released a statement disagreeing with the House Republicans’ efforts to defund Planned Parenthood because the clinics provide abortion, saying that eliminating all funding for family planning services “goes too far.” Stop making me like you, Scott Brown! [Boston.com]
- Women hold less than one-third of decision-making positions in the media, according to a new survey by the International Women’s Media Foundation, an advocacy group. The IWMF looked at 522 print, broadcast and radio institutions and found that women held 39 percent of managerial positions, 27 percent of leading managerial roles (like CEO) and 26 percent of governing board roles. [Bloomberg]
- Soul and disco singer Loleatta Holloway died yesterday at age 64. Loleatta’s hit song, “Love Sensation,” came out in 1980. [Spinner]
- Iowa’s state House advanced a bill to criminalize abortion after 20 weeks based on the anti-abortion activist claim that 20 weeks is the point at which a fetus can feel pain. Medical professionals debate the veracity of that claim. [CNBC]
- Arizona’s state Senate has advanced a bill that makes it a felony for a doctor to perform an abortion based on the gender or race of the fetus. [Huffington Post]
- A Florida state House committee has advanced a bill that makes minors seeking an abortion and abortion providers jump through more hoops to notify a parent about the abortion. [WCTV]
- Oprah Winfrey will be inducted into the Illinois Broadcasters Association’s Hall of Fame for her 25+ year career. [The Grio]
- Ellen DeGeneres will produce the lesbian-themed Jodi Picoult novel, Sing You Home, into a film. The book is about a woman who is suing her ex-husband for her frozen zygotes so she can impregnate her partner with them. [After Ellen]
- This past weekend, the Baseball Hall of Fame honored Toni Stone, a “tomboy” from St. Paul, Minnesota, who grew up to be the first woman to play in a professional baseball league (though at that time, it was called the “Negro” league). [MinnPost.com]
- Feminist icon Gloria Steinem shared the books she’s currently reading with The New York Post (which is super-bizarre, considering the Post is a very conservative paper, but I’m not complaining). [New York Post]
- High Times magazine, beloved by stoners everywhere, defends catering to the young male demographic (despite the fact that 420 lovers come in all genders). [TBD.com]
- Does “hip-hop feminism” — a phrase coined in 1999 — still exist these days? [The Root]
- Police are investigating reports of someone hanging up posters at the University of Waterloo in Canada which read, “The brightest woman this Earth ever created was Marie Curie, the mother of the nuclear bomb. You tell me if the plan of women leading men is still a good idea.” [570 News]
- An unnamed Australian doctor is currently on trial for allegedly touching a woman’s clitoris during an examination, putting his hand inside her vagina, and telling her she needed to “de-stress” and have an orgasm. Gross. [Sydney Morning Herald]
- Egyptian feminist, Nawal El Saadawi, age 80, opened up to The Nation magazine on how the recent revolution in Egypt will impact the nation’s women and girls. [The Nation]
If you see a story that belongs in Today’s Lady News, you can send it to me at Jessica@TheFrisky.com.
5 Signs You Belong Together
We've all heard the old saying that there's someone out there for everyone. Here are a few signs you can look for to figure out just how well you and your partner mesh together.
3 Reasons to Stay Single
There are plenty of benefits to being in a relationship, but there are just as many reasons for staying single.
9 Sexual Communication Tips
Talking about sex can be stressful, Here are nine helpful tips to make it easier.
Top 5 Gifts for Couples
Are you looking for something you can share with your partner? Check out these great recommendations to find something that you'll both love.
Top 5 Gifts for Him
Not sure what to get your man? Check out some of the top gift ideas from the guys at Adam & Eve.
Indulge in a little "me time"
Adam & Eve Adult Toys. Always Discreet, Free Shipping and Bonus Gifts.