Today’s Lady News: Pregnant Woman Who Attempted Suicide Charged With Murder
- Bei Bei Shuai of Indiana attempted suicide in December and lived. But Bei Bei was pregnant when she ingested rat poison while attempting to end her life. Her baby was born alive, but taken off life support after birth. Now Bei Bei is being charged with feticide because her suicide attempt may have contributed to the baby’s death. What a sticky wicket this one will be. [Care2.com]
- Six former and current female employees have filed a sexual discrimination lawsuit against Bayer HealthCare Pharmaceuticals, claiming the workplace was hostile to working mothers. The lawsuit claims managers made negative comments about women taking pregnancy leaves and one even said publicly that he needed to stop hiring women of childbearing age. [NorthJersey.com]
- Are rich, white, gay couples considered more “acceptable” than poor, single moms — especially of color? [ColorLines]
- “America’s Pope,” aka Archbishop Timothy Dolan, was on “60 Minutes” last night to talk about ordaining women as priests, among other things. [CBS News]
- Record producer Trina Shoemaker, who worked on Katy Perry’s 2010 album Teenage Dream, recently spoke at the SXSW music/tech/culture conference about being a woman in the recording industry. [Hartford Courant]
- Women’s Lunch Place, a daytime shelter in Boston’s Back Bay, is getting a $2 million upgrade based on increased demand. [Boston.com]
- MIT released a report on the status of women professors at the university. [USA Today]
- The sexual harassment accusation that led Hewlett-Packard CEO Mark Hurd to step down in August may soon be unsealed. [Venture Beat]
- New Jersey’s state senate has passed a bill to cut sexist language out of a 100-year-old law regarding married women’s property rights. [NJ.com]
- A young black man explains why he calls himself a feminist. [The Root]
- I probably shouldn’t give any additional attention to Oh No They Didn’t!’s list of 50 dumb blonde quotes, but … really? Really? [Oh No They Didn’t!]
- Misty Copeland, a ballerina with the American Ballet Theater who was the first African-American woman to be a soloist, opens up about how she manages to be a 103-lb. ballet dancer but still have curves. [Black Voices]
- India is changing its protocols on treatingrape victims, including practices that involved putting fingers inside the victim’s vagina. [Radio Netherlands Worldwide]
- The Canadian province of Manitoba has launched a missing persons campaign for missing and murdered women. [CBC.ca]
- Marine Le Pen, a far-right candidate in France, is hoping she can soften her party’s racist, anti-immigrant image. [Guardian UK]
- And a little animal kingdom lady news: researchers say that when elephants in the wild hear predators, such as a lion’s roar, they huddle around the older female elephants of the tribe. Mama elephants kick some ass! [BBC]
5 Signs You Belong Together
We've all heard the old saying that there's someone out there for everyone. Here are a few signs you can look for to figure out just how well you and your partner mesh together.
3 Reasons to Stay Single
There are plenty of benefits to being in a relationship, but there are just as many reasons for staying single.
9 Sexual Communication Tips
Talking about sex can be stressful, Here are nine helpful tips to make it easier.
Top 5 Gifts for Couples
Are you looking for something you can share with your partner? Check out these great recommendations to find something that you'll both love.
Top 5 Gifts for Him
Not sure what to get your man? Check out some of the top gift ideas from the guys at Adam & Eve.
Indulge in a little "me time"
Adam & Eve Adult Toys. Always Discreet, Free Shipping and Bonus Gifts.