12 Reasons I Love Josh Radnor
Over the years, I have had many celebrity crushes. First, it was Leonardo DiCaprio, who seemed so unbelievably sweet sleeping in the janitor’s closet on “Growing Pains” before the Seavers took him in. Then, like many in the ’90s, I went through a serious Kurt Cobain phase. Next, came Tim Robbins, who I liked for his oh-shucks demeanor and his obvious adoration of Susan Sarandon. For the later half of the 2000s, Jason Schwartzman piqued my interest for not only picking great projects (“Rushmore!” “Bored to Death!”) but for having an awesome band. But now, I have a new celebrity crush. Josh Radnor, of “How I Met Your Mother” and the new flick “HappyThankYouMorePlease.” After the jump, 10 reasons I love Josh.
- He plays one of the sweetest male characters on television—Ted Mosby the 30-year-old architect who desperately wants to find love. “I like the fact that [Ted is] sweet,” says Josh. “‘HIMYM,’ if you look at it, it’s a gender flip, because all the women are like these tough, unsentimental, gun-toting, trash-talking girls, and the guys are all sweet, we love relationships, we want to watch ‘Field of Dreams’ by the fire. Except for Barney. He’s an alien.”
- He is obviously mega good-looking. I like him best with a little scruff.
- He fussed up to going to a totally nerdy first concert. “It was UB40,” he said. “They played ‘Red Red Wine’ like the second or third song. And after that it was kind of like, ‘Wait, why are we here?’”
- He not only stars in “HappyThankYouMorePlease,” but he also wrote and directed it. Did I mention that it won the Audience Award at the Sundance Film Festival?
- He wrote the movie while on vacation in Hawaii with his good friend and co-star, Jason Segel, who was penning “Forgetting Sarah Marshall” at the time. “We just hung out for a week in this house he had right by the ocean,” says Josh. “It was pretty amazing.”
- He is from Ohio, and I tend to like them midwestern. Oh, and he has two sisters, which usually makes for a very good guy—the kind who is sensitive, thinks about others’ feelings, and doesn’t freak out at the sound of the word ‘tampon.’
- Even though he’s on a super popular sitcom, he keeps his personal life pretty quiet. The only famous woman he’s been linked to is Lindsay Price, who he met when she shot an episode of the show.
- He’s allergic to dogs. I dunno why, but I think that’s cute.
- He made his stage debut taking over for Jason Biggs in “The Graduate.” His co-stars? Alicia Silverstone and Kathleen Turner.
- He has the word ‘rad’ in his last name.
- Before moving to LA, he went to NYU. He says of “HappyThankYouMorePlease,” which is very much a NY movie, “My character Sam’s apartment is in Chinatown. We shot at a bar on Houston called Botanica that I used to go to.” I used to go there, too, Josh!
- While he’s excited to write and direct more, he isn’t about to get too big for his britches and leave “HIMYM.” “I’m pretty clear that I probably wouldn’t be sitting here talking to you without it. So I don’t sneeze at it at all,” he says. “But the thing is, as an actor and also someone who writes, there are going to be certain muscles that are atrophying, that you’re not going to be able to work out when you’re just doing the show. So there was a kind of restlessness that set in. I also want to give myself great film roles.”
Back off—I saw him first.