Today’s Lady News: Will Texas Make Abortion More Difficult For Women?
- Texas’ state senate passed a bill last night which requires a woman seeking an abortion to have an ultrasound and be read a physical description of the fetus’ current development. Women would not be required to look at the sonogram or listen to the heartbeat and there is an exception made for women or girls impregnated by rape or incest. Governor Rick Perry wholeheartedly supports the bill. [Reuters]
- Not content to let Rep. Michele Bachmann hog all the attention, Sarah Palin is weighing in on Michelle Obama’s public push for moms to breastfeed. [The Root]
- 911 dispatcher Angela Sherrod of Louisville coached new dad, Mohamed Bojang, on how to deliver his wife’s baby. In her 20 years on the job, Angela had never helped deliver a baby over the phone before. Both mom and baby, Khadija Bojang, are doing well. Great job, everyone! [The Grio]
- A Georgia state senate resolution would allow voters to decide whether to add to the state constitution that life begins at conception, therefore classifying all abortion as murder. [WABE]
- Do adult lesbians bitch too much about how lesbian teens are depicted on TV? [After Ellen]
- Two abortion-related bills have passed through a South Carolina state house sub-committee, including one which would change the wording in laws regarding premature babies and babies that “survive abortions” to call them “person” or “child,” and another which allows health care providers a “conscious clause” to refuse to perform work they morally object to doing. [The State]
- Sexist, homophobic and racist comments on Iowa college campuses have been heard by 95 percent of students surveyed, according to a recent poll by a gay pride group. [Des Moines Register]
- A Virginia state senate has killed several bills that would have restricted abortion in the state, including one which would have allowed parents to sue for the death of an unborn child after an abortion. [WRIC]
- Facebook now allows users to select “in a civil union” and “in a domestic partnership” when revealing their relationship status on their profile. [Feministing]
- Abortion provider Dr. Mila Means of Wichita, Kansas, has agreed not to perform abortions in an office space she leases following a lawsuit from the office’s owners. Dr. Means was seeking to provide abortion in Wichita following the murder of Dr. George Tiller in May 2009 by an anti-abortion extremist. [Ms. Magazine]
- Check out the Muslim women’s blog Muslimah Media Watch’s fascinating series about Muslim dating sites. [Muslimah Media Watch]
- Four abortion-related bills died in Kentucky state house committees, included one which would have criminalized abortions after 20 weeks. (Which, I thought, was already illegal?) [Kentucky.com]
- In honor of Black History Month, let’s take a look at queer black women in music. [After Ellen]
- What happens when “mean girls” grow up? [Washington Post]
- Rio de Janiero has appointed its first-ever police chief. [Guardian UK]
- Women in Egypt are clashing over sharia, or Islamic, law. [Bloomberg]
- The Family Planning Assocation, a conglomerate of abortion clinics in New Zealand, has withdrawn an application to expand clinics around the country. [Stuff NZ]
- Some royal watchers want the sexist laws of succession — a male heir takes precedence over older female heirs — updated to reflect modern times. [CTV]
- A Dubai court is hearing the case of a 27-year-old Filipina woman who had an illegal abortion after her husband abandoned her while she was pregnant, as she already had two children to support. [The National]
See a story that belongs in Today’s Lady News? Send it to me at Jessica@TheFrisky.com!
5 Signs You Belong Together
We've all heard the old saying that there's someone out there for everyone. Here are a few signs you can look for to figure out just how well you and your partner mesh together.
3 Reasons to Stay Single
There are plenty of benefits to being in a relationship, but there are just as many reasons for staying single.
9 Sexual Communication Tips
Talking about sex can be stressful, Here are nine helpful tips to make it easier.
Top 5 Gifts for Couples
Are you looking for something you can share with your partner? Check out these great recommendations to find something that you'll both love.
Top 5 Gifts for Him
Not sure what to get your man? Check out some of the top gift ideas from the guys at Adam & Eve.
Indulge in a little "me time"
Adam & Eve Adult Toys. Always Discreet, Free Shipping and Bonus Gifts.