Today’s Lady News: You Mean Everyone Can’t Afford To Be A Stay-At-Home Mom?
- While cutting funding for a Head Start program for disadvantaged preschoolers, elected officials in Frederick County, Maryland, made appallingly ignorant comments about how their own wives took time off of work to stay home with their kids when they were young, so why can’t other moms? [TDB.com]
- A subcommittee of Iowa’s state House of Representatives approved a bill that would define life as beginning at conception and ban all abortions, including in cases of rape or incest. [Chicago Tribune]
- Double X argues that the lack of female engineers cannot be attributed to sexism. I know we have some lady engineers who read The Frisky, so I’d love to hear what you have to say about this post in the comments. [Slate]
- Is it possible to celebrate Valentine’s Day in a — dare I say it? — feminist way? [Ms. Magazine]
- The FDA has approved the first three-dimensional X-ray mammogram device. [Business Week]
- About 100 people showed up for a protest at the Smithsonian in Washington, D.C. on Saturday after a nursing mother was told last month to go breastfeed her baby in the bathroom. [Washington Post]
- “Miss Representation,” the new documentary about how women are portrayed in the media, has been picked up by OWN, Oprah’s new network. Oprah is apparently stockpiling female-focused docs for the Oprah Winfrey Network Documentary Film Club on her channel. [Indie Wire]
- PBS’s Frontline documentary series will air “Sex Slaves,” a program about sex trafficking, at 9 p.m. EST
tonighttomorrow. You can watch a clip on the PBS web site. [PBS.org]
- Tura Satana, actress in the cult classic “Faster Pussycat! Kill! Kill!”, passed away last week at the age of 72. [Bust Magazine]
- UPDATE: This story is from 2008. Thanks to commenter @Reading Is Fundamental for pointing that out. Critics say a billboard in Newmarket, Australia, featuring a whip-wielding woman with an exposed butt is “sexist” and doesn’t appropriately advertise a gym. [City North News]
- A Polish prime minister has apologized for saying (joking?) when asked about his view on civil partnerships among same-sex couples, that “we can forget about gay men but I would gladly watch lesbians.” [Pink News UK]
- Britain’s highest court has rejected a request by the British Pregnancy Advisory Service to allow women to take the second dosage of the abortion pill at home. Women will still have to come into a clinic for two visits. [Sky News]
5 Signs You Belong Together
We've all heard the old saying that there's someone out there for everyone. Here are a few signs you can look for to figure out just how well you and your partner mesh together.
3 Reasons to Stay Single
There are plenty of benefits to being in a relationship, but there are just as many reasons for staying single.
9 Sexual Communication Tips
Talking about sex can be stressful, Here are nine helpful tips to make it easier.
Top 5 Gifts for Couples
Are you looking for something you can share with your partner? Check out these great recommendations to find something that you'll both love.
Top 5 Gifts for Him
Not sure what to get your man? Check out some of the top gift ideas from the guys at Adam & Eve.
Indulge in a little "me time"
Adam & Eve Adult Toys. Always Discreet, Free Shipping and Bonus Gifts.