Today’s Lady News: Texas Governor Takes Aim At Abortion Rights
- Texas Governor Rick Perry wants to fast-track a bill requiring women seeking abortions to have a sonogram taken of the fetus, hear a doctor’s description of its development, and listen to its heartbeat. Perry extolled the bill while speaking at an anti-abortion rally on the 38th anniversary of Roe vs. Wade. [Yahoo News]
- A committee in Iowa’s House of Representatives advanced a bill that would repeal same-sex marriage in the state and ban recognition of same-sex marriages from other states. [Advocate]
- Last week, Surgeon General Regina Benjamin put out a “call to arms” in support of breastfeeding. We’re all about using boobies to feed babies! (Thanks to commenter earnold14 for the link!) [SurgeonGeneral.gov]
- Wyoming’s House of Representatives defeated a bill yesterday that would have required doctors to inform women they could see an ultrasound of their fetus prior to having an abortion. [Trib.com]
- A woman’s chances of experiencing sexual violence in Alaska are higher than in any other state. You’d think that would make Sarah Palin a feminist. [Yahoo]
- Abortion providers in Kansas will be required to provide more details about the medical reasons women are seeking late-term abortions (which are extremely rare in the first place). [KansasCity.com]
- Wearing a silver ribbon means means you support a woman’s right to make her own reproductive choices. As much as I think we live in a ribbon-clogged society, I’m pleased there’s a ribbon to show I’m pro-choice! (Thanks to commenter, FreudianSlip, for the link!) [Ms. Magazine]
- Who are the would-be lesbians of fiction? (Hint: Kristy Thomas from The Babysitter’s Club totally makes the list.) [AfterEllen.com]
- Why can’t female superheroes get their own movies? [E! Online]
- Russian playwright Anna Yablonsky was killed in this week’s terrorist attack at Domodedovo Airport. She had been traveling from Moscow to her hometown, Odessa, to receive a prize for her play, “The Pagans.” [Guerrilla Girls]
- British soccer commentator Andy Gray was recently fired for making sexist comments. But the London Guardian wonders if his former employer, Sky Sports, was institutionally sexist? [Guardian UK]
Do you have a story you think should be in Today’s Lady News? Send it to me at firstname.lastname@example.org!
5 Signs You Belong Together
We've all heard the old saying that there's someone out there for everyone. Here are a few signs you can look for to figure out just how well you and your partner mesh together.
3 Reasons to Stay Single
There are plenty of benefits to being in a relationship, but there are just as many reasons for staying single.
9 Sexual Communication Tips
Talking about sex can be stressful, Here are nine helpful tips to make it easier.
Top 5 Gifts for Couples
Are you looking for something you can share with your partner? Check out these great recommendations to find something that you'll both love.
Top 5 Gifts for Him
Not sure what to get your man? Check out some of the top gift ideas from the guys at Adam & Eve.
Indulge in a little "me time"
Adam & Eve Adult Toys. Always Discreet, Free Shipping and Bonus Gifts.