Today’s Lady News: Shiloh Jolie-Pitt Is Just Trendy, OK?
- Thank God, Shiloh Jolie-Pitt wearing boys’ clothes is just a hot “trend” now. Whew! [USA Today]
- Manicures and raw food with Liz Phair? Yes, please! [NYMag.com]
- What will make women buy more liquor? Making the bottles “fashionable,” duh. [New York Times]
- For the ninth straight year, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton has been voted the most admired woman in America by USA Today and Gallup. She is followed by Sarah Palin at position number two. [NPR]
- Katha Pollitt over at The Nation writes about the controversy surrounding the allegations of rape against Julian Assange, founder of WikiLeaks, saying that “when it comes to rape, the left still doesn’t get it.” [The Nation]
- Chloe Moore, a transgender woman in Washington, D.C., pepper-sprayed a man who called her a transphobic slur. The man then chased Moore down the street and tackled her, whipping out a badge and revealing himself to be a police officer. An uninvolved witness confirmed Moore’s version of events, but Moore has nevertheless been charged and arrested. [Feministing]
- Feminist theologian Mary Daly is one of the famous women who passed away this year. Daly was a pioneering feminist who wrote The Church and the Second Sex, a book about misogyny in the Catholic Church, in 1968. Interestingly, she was a teacher at Boston College, a Jesuit school, and insisted, when the college went co-ed in the early ’70s, on women-only classes. Her relationship with the college was stormy because of her feminist approach and her criticism of the Catholic Church. [Boston.com]