Today’s Lady News: Crazies To Protest Elizabeth Edwards’ Funeral
- Is resting in peace too much to ask for Elizabeth Edwards, who died on Tuesday from cancer? The anti-gay fundamentalist group Westboro Baptist Church will protest her funeral this weekend in Raleigh, North Carolina, supposedly for leading a covetous and godless life. Yeah, that won’t be even more traumatic for her kids Jack, Emma Claire and Cate Edwards. Let’s hope the mainstream media just ignores those a**holes. [CBS News]
- The “Brenda Starr” comic strip will cease to run after January 2, the Tribune Media Company has announced. “Brenda Starr” has been a redheaded, world-traveling reporter for over 70 years. While she once appeared in over 250 newspapers, she lately only appeared in three dozen. Now she’ll go with the “Cathy” cartoon to that great lady cartoon strip in the sky. [The Wrap]
- Ultrasounds may not be needed before taking the “abortion pill,” mifepristone, particularly because the extra cost added on by having a sonogram can make ending a pregnancy financially out of reach for some people, according to a new study. Ultrasounds usually cost $350 to $650 and are typically used to find how far along a pregnancy is; however, they are not necessarily medically necessary to safely use mifepristone, said Gynuity Health Projects in New York City. [Reuters]
- Catholic groups have planned a pro-life march on December 11 in Germantown, Maryland, where Dr. LeRoy Carhart, the only abortion provider who openly admits to performing late-term abortions, has begun practicing. Dr. Carhart was edged out of his home state of Nebraska by lawmakers who made it illegal to end a pregnancy after 20 weeks. [NBC Washington]
- The American Civil Liberties Union has asked a Kansas high school to allow kids to wear “I heart boobies” bracelets, the proceeds of which go towards breast cancer charity Keep A Breast. A student, who has an aunt undergoing treatment for breast cancer, refused to take off or flip his bracelet and was suspended for two days. [Kansas.com]
- Martina Navratilova, a nine-time Wimbledon winner, is hiking Mt. Kilimanjaro, the highest point in Africa, to raise money for sports programs for disadvantaged youth. [AfterEllen.com]
- Blogger Lori Adelman at Feministing on her fundraiser Decembrow, the month-long charity initiative to grow out a unibrow for a charity of your choice. [Feministing]
- The president of Botswana said in a political meeting that he will only marry a woman who is tall, skinny and beautiful. Ian Khama, 57, is still single and that’s aroused concern among members of his ethnic group because marrying is part of tribal tradition. There could be a reason Romeo is still single, though. After describing his dream woman, he pointed to a female who works in his cabinet and said, “I don’t want one like this one. She may fail to pass through the door, breaking furniture with her heavy weight and even break the vehicle’s shock absorbers.” What a jerk! [Black Voices]
- The U.K.’s National Health Service has launched a text campaign where young adults ages 13 to 25 can text “txtm8″ with any sexual matter and receive a reply in 30 minutes by a trained sexual health staffer. [Daily Mail]
- The Canadian military will now allow transgendered soldiers to wear the uniform of their preferred gender, according to updates to the country’s National Defense Manual. [Styleite]
5 Signs You Belong Together
We've all heard the old saying that there's someone out there for everyone. Here are a few signs you can look for to figure out just how well you and your partner mesh together.
3 Reasons to Stay Single
There are plenty of benefits to being in a relationship, but there are just as many reasons for staying single.
9 Sexual Communication Tips
Talking about sex can be stressful, Here are nine helpful tips to make it easier.
Top 5 Gifts for Couples
Are you looking for something you can share with your partner? Check out these great recommendations to find something that you'll both love.
Top 5 Gifts for Him
Not sure what to get your man? Check out some of the top gift ideas from the guys at Adam & Eve.
Indulge in a little "me time"
Adam & Eve Adult Toys. Always Discreet, Free Shipping and Bonus Gifts.