Leonardo DiCaprio didn’t think the skies were so friendly this weekend. He was on a Delta commercial flight to Moscow from New York’s JFK when, a few minutes after takeoff, one of the jet’s engines blew. Several witnesses on the ground called emergency services to say the plane was on fire, but the pilots had it under control. While the lights went out in the passenger cabin, they used the jet’s good engine to circle the airport for an hour and dump enough fuel to safely land the debilitated plane. Leo put out a statement via his rep about the incident today. “[Leonardo] wishes to commend the actions of the pilot and flight crew in bringing the plane to a safe landing,” it read.
Leonardo is far from the first celebrity to be on a very scary flight. After the jump, tales of celebrity plane rides gone turbulent. Some of them have happy endings, and very sadly, some do not.The Good …
- John Travolta keeps his planes parked on his front lawn—a Boeing 707, a Lear, and a GulfStream. He’s logged in over 5,000 miles as a pilot. (Remember his pilot gig in “Look Who’s Talking?”) After Hurricane Katrina, he hopped in one and helped out. [EZine]
- Harrison Ford used his helicopter to rescue hikers who got lost in the woods near his home in Wyoming — twice! Once, a girl he rescued was so sick and delirious that she puked in his ‘copter. Hopefully, he’s washed it since.
The Bad …
- In August of 2009, Ashton Kutcher and Demi Moore‘s private plane had to make an emergency landing in Las Vegas while on the way to New York after Ashton’s “Spread” premiere. No one’s said exactly what the emergency was, but both actors tweeted about their near-death experiences after landing safely. [People]
- In 2001, Aaliyah hopped on a private plane in the Bahamas after shooting her video for “Rock the Boat.” Tragically, the plane crashed, and everyone on board was killed. It was discovered that the pilot was unlicensed and had traces of alcohol and cocaine in his system. So, so sad.
- Four years ago, Oprah Winfrey‘s private GulfStream jet had to do an emergency landing in Santa Barbara after a run-in with a bird cracked the windshield. The bird didn’t make it, but Oprah and Stedman Graham were not injured. [People]
- The Dixie Chicks‘ private plane clipped the side of a building after landing at the Glasgow Airport before a show. Everyone was fine, and the plane and the building only suffered superficial damage. [People]
And The Weird …
- Tom Cruise got the nickname “Emissions Impossible” for owning three private jets. He’s been known to send out a plane to buy organic veggies. Cruise invited Katie Holmes for sushi on his private jet for their first date. [Forbes]
- Jennifer Lopez chartered a private jet from New York to LA and then refused to pay, saying she wasn’t supposed to be billed for it. Obviously, she got sued. Oops. [TMZ]