Hi Frisky readers! Fun fact about me—I love to make and eat food! Now, if Kelly Bensimon were to meet me, I’m sure she’d emphasize in her psychotic way that I am a cook not a chef, and I would agree. That being said, I think I manage to whip up some tasty things in my tiny New York kitchen, so when the mood strikes (I’m aiming for every week), I’m going to introduce you to an easy recipe I’m currently loving.
I am a brunch whore. I am a girl, after all. I love the mixture of breakfast and lunch options, and the thumbs-up to drink before noon or just after. So while I go out to brunch a lot on the weekends, I sometimes make my own at home and this was a recipe (and I hesitate to call it that because it was stupid easy) I came up with this weekend that was lip-smackingly good.
POACHED EGGS ON SPICY TOAST WITH AVOCADO AND TOMATO
Recipe serves one hungry single gal. Double it to feed an “overnight guest” if you desire.
- 2 eggs
- small loaf of ciabatta or another kind of crusty fancy-ish bread, sliced in half
- 1 tsp. plain ol’ vinegar (this is optional if you hate even the subtle tang of vinegar anywhere near your food)
- 1 avocado
- 1 tomato
- hot sauce, to taste (Cholula is my fave)
- Alright, let’s talk egg poaching. Don’t be scared. It’s not that hard. Fill a SHALLOW pot (like, with no more than a 3-inch lip) with water, set it over a high heat, and get it to the almost boiling point. Meanwhile, crack your egg into some sort of a cup. I like to poach my eggs one by one so you’ll repeat this process twice.
- When the water is almost boiling, add the vinegar to the water, and then gently slide the egg into the water. (The vinegar helps the white part of the egg stay together and not break up.) Using a spoon, carefully spoon the egg white toward the yoke so the egg is floating generally in one area. Turn the heat off, cover the pot, and let sit for around 3-4 minutes.
- Remove the egg with a slotted spoon and set on a plate with a paper towel so the water drains. REPEAT on the second egg (if you’re hungry). If you really want to watch how to poach an egg, here’s a good tutorial. No fear!
- Perhaps while your eggs are poaching, toast your bread and slice your avocado and tomato. Season the eggs with salt and pepper and cover your bread with as much hot sauce as you desire. Then on each piece of toast, add the avocado, then the tomato and then, finally, the egg on top.
- Eat, rub belly, burp, let dog lick plate.