Today’s Lady News: Duke Greeks Hosted Slutty Halloween Parties
- Two Greek societies at Duke University sent Halloween party invitations to students that some say are inappropriate. Fraternity Sigma Nu implored women to dress as “a slutty nurse, a slutty doctor, a slutty schoolgirl, or just a total slut,” while Alpha Delta Pi’s email read, “Dear bitches, I mean witches.” (Note: Alpha Delta Pi is a sorority, but the Daily News article describes it as a “the off-campus fraternity Alpha Delta Pi.”) I don’t know, but I don’t find this that offensive. It’s just Halloween, people. [New York Daily News]
- Clark Atlanta University will open The Domestic Violence Prevention Leadership Academy at its school of social work, partially with funding from Verizon, to train students to research the issue. [Atlanta Journal Constitution]
- TIME spoke with Dr. Warren Hern, the last remaining abortion provider who publicly admits to doing late-term abortions. “I have been committed to this work since I started in 1973. I will continue doing it,” Hern said. “The people who disagree should leave me alone. It is the clear policy of the American anti-abortion movement to kill every doctor who does abortions. It is not a secret.” [TIME]
- Remember that “Black Marriage Negotiations” video that went viral which mocked black women? TheRoot.com spoke with its creator, Darroll Lawson. [TheRoot.com]
- Here’s the most duh newspaper article title of the year: “Sexism Remains A Problem For Women Seeking Office.” Why, you don’t say! [Washington Post]
- One columnist argues Republican Ken Buck didn’t win Colorado’s Senate seat because of his extreme anti-abortion views that ending a pregnancy should always be always be illegal, even in the case of rape and incest. [U.S. News & World Report]
- Democratic Senator Patty Murray has won her fourth term in Congress after her opponent conceded yesterday. [Seattle Post Intelligencer]
- Rep. Nancy Pelosi announced she will run as House Minority Leader. Pelosi made history two years ago as the first-ever female Speaker of the House. [Los Angeles Times]
- Montana and New Jersey need to be smacked around a little bit for their idiotic behavior with family planning funding. [Feminist.org]
- Feminist icon Gloria Steinem says we need to “eroticize equality.” Find out what the heck that means by clicking the link. [Big Think]
- Michelle Obama and Dr. Jill Biden were on “Ellen”! Damn it, that stupid having-a-job thing always ruins my TV-watching. [Jack And Jill Politics]
- Meet the women behind “For Colored Girls,” the Tyler Perry adaptation of Ntozake Shange’s book. [TheRoot.com]
- A white male won the Washington Post’s Next Great American Pundit Contest for the second year in a row. Nothing against white guys, but don’t a lot of ‘em write op-ed columns already? Frank Rich, Charles Krauthammer, Ross Douthat, etc. It would be awesome to have more diversity on op-ed pages, which is why it’s a bummer that Nancy Goldstein, a lesbian woman, didn’t win this year. [Washington Post]
5 Signs You Belong Together
We've all heard the old saying that there's someone out there for everyone. Here are a few signs you can look for to figure out just how well you and your partner mesh together.
3 Reasons to Stay Single
There are plenty of benefits to being in a relationship, but there are just as many reasons for staying single.
9 Sexual Communication Tips
Talking about sex can be stressful, Here are nine helpful tips to make it easier.
Top 5 Gifts for Couples
Are you looking for something you can share with your partner? Check out these great recommendations to find something that you'll both love.
Top 5 Gifts for Him
Not sure what to get your man? Check out some of the top gift ideas from the guys at Adam & Eve.
Indulge in a little "me time"
Adam & Eve Adult Toys. Always Discreet, Free Shipping and Bonus Gifts.