Today’s Lady News: New Mexico Elects First-Ever Latina Governor
- Susana Martinez of New Mexico was elected last night as the first Latina governor in American history. You can read about other women who won — or lost — in yesterday’s election in my story “The Ladies Of Election Day.” [MSN]
- Voters in Colorado rejected a “fetal personhood” proposal that would have given a fetus the legal status of a person and therefore criminalized all abortions. [Washington Post]
- A Washington anti-abortion extremist has been sentenced to home confinement for 180 days for terrorizing an abortion provider and his family. Donald Hertz will also serve five years probation for threatening Dr. Warren Hern of Colorado and Hern’s 92-year-old mother during three weeks after the murder of Kansas abortion provider, Dr. George Tiller. [Ms. Magazine]
- After yesterday’s election, there is not a single African-American in the United States Senate. This is a problem … [Black Voices]
- … and the first-ever black woman, Terri Sewell, was elected to a House of Representatives seat in Alabama … [The Grio]
- … and here’s some more good news: a record number of lesbian and gay candidates were elected to office yesterday. [GayPolitics.com]
- Here’s a thoughtful post-Election Day piece by Slate’s Emily Bazelon, Dahlia Lithwick, and Hanna Rosin: “We Are Too Serious About Unserious Women.” [Slate.com]
- I love this infographic on women in the workplace! Cute and educational. [College Candy]
- The Broadway theater housing the musical “The Lion King” dimmed its lights on Tuesday night for Shannon Tavarez, the 11-year-old actress who played Young Nala, who passed away on Monday from leukemia. [The Grio]
- Chef Sara Moulton talks about battling sexist attitudes in the culinary world, especially as she got her start in the ’80s. “It hasn’t changed enough. No way. New York in particular back then was a bastion of male domination in terms of the restaurant industry and most things,” Moulton said. “Many of those chefs went on to open restaurants in New York and the French chefs didn’t believe that women belonged in the kitchen. We were shut out. When I first went to New York, I had worked in restaurants for seven years, and I couldn’t get a job.” [Eater]
- An Iranian woman convicted of adultery could be killed by the death penalty today. Sakineh Ashtiani is accused of conspiring to kill her husband with a lover. There has been an international outcry over Ashtiani’s death sentence for adultery, but Iran has refused to allow her amnesty in another country. [The Daily Beast]
- Eight lesbian, gay and straight couples in the U.K. are planning to challenge the country’s ban against same-sex marriage. [The Advocate]
- France honored the “beloved” African-American writer, Toni Morrison, with an induction into its exclusive Legion of Honor society. Morrison is a Nobel laureate and winner of the Pulitzer Prize. [The Grio]
- New moms in Britain are “let down by National Health Service child care,” according to a new report by the National Childbirth Trust. [The Guardian]
- British transsexual Juliet Jacques explains what transsexual people and pregnant women have in common: Strangers think its’ polite to ask them anything. [The Guardian ]
- The human rights commission in New Brunswick in Canada will hold an investigation on the province’s abortion policy. [CBC.ca]
- Viola Vaughn, one of CNN’s top 10 heroes of 2008, discusses how she left retirement to educate girls in Senegal, where the majority of schooling is for boys. Vaughn’s educational program teaches thousands of girls each year and has even sent girls on to college. [CNN]
5 Signs You Belong Together
We've all heard the old saying that there's someone out there for everyone. Here are a few signs you can look for to figure out just how well you and your partner mesh together.
3 Reasons to Stay Single
There are plenty of benefits to being in a relationship, but there are just as many reasons for staying single.
9 Sexual Communication Tips
Talking about sex can be stressful, Here are nine helpful tips to make it easier.
Top 5 Gifts for Couples
Are you looking for something you can share with your partner? Check out these great recommendations to find something that you'll both love.
Top 5 Gifts for Him
Not sure what to get your man? Check out some of the top gift ideas from the guys at Adam & Eve.
Indulge in a little "me time"
Adam & Eve Adult Toys. Always Discreet, Free Shipping and Bonus Gifts.