Today’s Lady News: Clarence Thomas’ Wife Asks Anita Hill For Sexual Harassment Apology
- Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas’ wife, Virginia Thomas, called Anita Hill and left a message on her Brandeis University answering machine asking her for an apology nearly 20 years after the two families were embroiled in a very public sexual harassment battle. In 1991, Hill testified in front of the Senate Judiciary Committee before Thomas’ confirmation that he had made inappropriate sexual comments to her, including describing porn films. “Good morning Anita Hill, it’s Ginni Thomas. I just wanted to reach across the airwaves and the years and ask you to consider something. I would love you to consider an apology sometime and some full explanation of why you did what you did with my husband,” the voice said. “So give it some thought. And certainly pray about this and hope that one day you will help us understand why you did what you did. O.K., have a good day.” In response, Anita Hill told The New York Times, “[Virginia Thomas] can’t ask for an apology without suggesting that I did something wrong, and that is offensive.” [New York Times]
- “You’d look really good on your knees.” This was uttered to a female employee by Tribune Company CEO Randy Michaels, who is said to be stepping down from the company after news has broken in recent weeks revealing the company to be a hotbed of sexual harassment. The woman Michaels made this comment to said interacting with him was a big reason she left the company. [Gawker]
- Gloria Steinem talks with Canadian radio about why it’s cool to be feminist and love pop culture. Um, duh! [CBC]
- Esquire.com chatted with Sen. Barbara Mikulski (D-MD), who offered this perspective on women in politics today: “I was one of the original congresswomen who came in during the ’70s. We were a little band of sisters, viewed as novelties and novices. Now we’re viewed as powerhouses.” [Esquire.com]
- Vogue has profiled Senator Kristen Gillibrand, a first-term senator in New York who filled Hillary Clinton’s old seat! Gillbrand supports legal abortion, same-sex marriage, and has been one of the most vocal pols on repealing “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell.” [Vogue]
- AOL’s Black Voices blog takes an exclusive look at “For Colored Girls,” the film adaptation of For Colored Girls Who Have Considered Suicide When the Rainbow is Not Enuf. [Black Voices]
- Although KT Tunstall did make comments about the amount of sexuality in Shakira’s music videos, the two are not feuding and KT resents the tabloid’s propensity to frame everything as “bitch fights.” [Spinner]
- “The Vagina Monologues” playwright Eve Ensler was honored with the annual Inspiration Award for a decade of activism on behalf of women’s rights and sexual violence. You can learn more about Eve’s good works at VDay.org. [Broadway World]
- Take a peek into the world of black female prep school students. [Clutch Magazine]
- Marisol Valles, 20, a criminology student, has been selected as the police chief of El Provenir, a Mexican border town. Yup, she’s the police chief. [Guanabee]
- A Chinese woman said she was forced to have an abortion at eight months for violating the country’s “one child” policy by getting illegally pregnant. Reminder: freedom of choice also means freedom to not have an abortion. [Al Jazeera]
- The front page of “Rolling Stone” newspaper in Uganda listed the top 100 homosexuals in the country with photos and addresses. [Black Voices]
5 Signs You Belong Together
We've all heard the old saying that there's someone out there for everyone. Here are a few signs you can look for to figure out just how well you and your partner mesh together.
3 Reasons to Stay Single
There are plenty of benefits to being in a relationship, but there are just as many reasons for staying single.
9 Sexual Communication Tips
Talking about sex can be stressful, Here are nine helpful tips to make it easier.
Top 5 Gifts for Couples
Are you looking for something you can share with your partner? Check out these great recommendations to find something that you'll both love.
Top 5 Gifts for Him
Not sure what to get your man? Check out some of the top gift ideas from the guys at Adam & Eve.
Indulge in a little "me time"
Adam & Eve Adult Toys. Always Discreet, Free Shipping and Bonus Gifts.