5 Things To Know About “Cigar Guy”
Last weekend, an image appeared in the Daily Mail of Tiger Woods taking a golf shot in a tournament. Nestled among the crowd in the background is a guy wearing a red toupee and a fake moustache, with a cigar hanging out of his mouth and a goofy grin on his face. Instantly, the internet loved this guy. People started Photoshopping him into other images—as Muhammed Ali, as the Statue of Liberty, and even as a member of the Beatles. But no one knew who he was.
Well, The Daily Mail has tracked Cigar Guy down. After the jump, all you never wanted to know about him.
- His name is Rupesh Shingadia. He is 30 years old, studied math in college, and now works as an investment analyst in London. He lives with his parents in South London. In addition to golf, he also loves Arsenal soccer.
- The costume was a tribute to Spanish golfer Miguel Angel Jimenez. “I wanted to do something to show my support for the European team and I thought of Miguel,” he said. “These days sportsmen have become devoid of character. But Miguel does his own thing and I love the way he walks around the course with a cigar clamped between his teeth.”
- He doesn’t actually smoke cigars. “I don’t normally smoke—well, maybe the odd cigar at weddings—so I asked for something mild. To last all day, though, it had to be a big one.”
- His sudden celebrity was a big surprise. “I was absolutely astonished. It was incredible. I found it funny but unsettling,” he said. “If I had known the incredible reaction it would produce, the way that Cigar Guy has snowballed, I would probably never have put on my costume. That said, I’m glad it has put a smile on people’s faces.”
- Rupesh is currently single and is reluctant to chat up any of the women who’ve offered him their hand in marriage online. “I’d want them to love me for who I am—not just Cigar Guy,” he said.
Sounds fair to us.