Today’s Lady News: California Candidate Meg Whitman Gets Called A “Whore”
- An aide for California’s Democratic gubernatorial candidate called Meg Whitman, the Republican candidate, a “whore” on a voicemail which was accidentally left on a phone. According to the transcript, it sounds like the aide was specifically trying to say Whitman is a whore for pension reform. Whitman’s campaign released a statement calling it “an insult to both Meg Whitman and to the women of California.” [KPSP, Los Angeles Times]
- A so-called “crisis pregnancy center” in Wisconsin, which pretends to offer family planning services but in actuality dissuades women from abortion, has paid for a billboard depicting a teen girl and a fetus in her belly. A thought bubble coming from the teen girl reads, “My mom’s going to kill me” and one from the fetus said, “My mom REALLY is going to KILL ME.” Some locals said the billboard is upsetting to young children who may read the sign, but Bay Area Pregnancy Services said it does not think that it’s inappropriate. [Daily Mail]
- Sigma Gamma Rho, an African-American sorority, has been accused by students at two different colleges (Rutgers in New Jersey and San Jose State in CA) for “hazing” pledges by beating them with wooden paddles. [New York Times]
- Actress Nikki Blonsky, the star of “Huge,” a show about plus-size teens at a weight loss camp, talks to Dodai Stewart of the blog Jezebel.com about the show’s cancellation and the need for diverse role models on TV. [Jezebel]
- Forbes magazine has named First Lady Michelle Obama the most powerful woman in the world, making her the first African-American to make the spot. [Essence]
- Citizens in Mississippi are fighting to keep a “fetal personhood” initiative, which would define a fetus as a person and thereby make abortion punishable as murder, off the ballot. [Jackson Clarion Ledger]
- A school board in Trumansburg, New York, voted to approve a school feminism club called Femtastic!. Yes, with an exclamation point. Awww. I started my high school’s feminism club. Best of luck to you! [The Ithaca Journal]
- AOL News Duke’s “sex thesis” author Karen Owen: a feminist hero? Um, maybe a “do-me feminist” hero. [AOL News]
- The Witchita clinic belonging to the late Dr. George Tiller, who was murdered by an anti-abortion extremist at his church in May 2009, is now for sale. An anti-abortion group called Kansas For Life has mentioned buying the property and turning it into a “memorial for aborted fetuses.” [Nebraska]
- Albertina Walker, who was known as the “queen of gospel,” passed away today at age 81. [Essence]
- Bayer Pharmaceuticals has put $300 million into a Quebec company that claims to have created a “Viagra for women” pill which creates more vaginal lubrication. [Vancouver Sun]
- The New South Wales Council of Social Service is calling on the government to remove abortion from the Crimes Act and thereby decriminalize terminating a pregnancy. [Sydney Morning Herald]
5 Signs You Belong Together
We've all heard the old saying that there's someone out there for everyone. Here are a few signs you can look for to figure out just how well you and your partner mesh together.
3 Reasons to Stay Single
There are plenty of benefits to being in a relationship, but there are just as many reasons for staying single.
9 Sexual Communication Tips
Talking about sex can be stressful, Here are nine helpful tips to make it easier.
Top 5 Gifts for Couples
Are you looking for something you can share with your partner? Check out these great recommendations to find something that you'll both love.
Top 5 Gifts for Him
Not sure what to get your man? Check out some of the top gift ideas from the guys at Adam & Eve.
Indulge in a little "me time"
Adam & Eve Adult Toys. Always Discreet, Free Shipping and Bonus Gifts.