Today’s Lady News: Ohio Woman Forced Into Abortion Clinic At Gunpoint
- Police say an Ohio man, Dominic Holt-Reid, forced his girlfriend into an abortion clinic at gunpoint after she refused to terminate her pregnancy. The couple had a morning appointment for an abortion and she refused to go, so he pulled a gun from the glove compartment. While inside the clinic, she passed a note to a clinic employee, who called the police. Holt-Reid was charged with kidnapping and carrying a concealed weapon. Sigh. Here’s a little Reproductive Rights 101: “freedom of choice” also means being free to not have an abortion, too. [Columbus Post-Dispatch]
- A fence business in Ocala, Florida, posted a sign on its property which reads, “Breast inspection 20 feet ahead, please have ‘em out. You got to love them rednecks.” The employees of Hercules Fence Company say it’s just “humorous, good stuff,” but some breast cancer survivors say a crude joke is not appropriate during Breast Cancer Awareness Month. [WESH]
- Good news for us (white) gals who like the fancy book-learnin’: the “marriage gap” between women who pursue higher education and their less educated peers has closed. New findings by the Pew Research Center say that white women born in the early 1970s and afterward, who went to college, are about as likely to marry as white women who go straight into the workforce. [Washington Post]
- With races tight this election season, democrats are putting more emphasis than ever on pro-choice candidates and abortion. [New York Times]
- California Superior Court Judge Martha Bellinger has just published a memoir, Robe to Robe, on her experience coming out as a lesbian while in the seminary and later becoming a Los Angeles Superior Court judge. [San Diego Gay & Lesbian News]
- Is Valerie Plame, the CIA agent who was “outed” by a conservative op-ed columnist who was trying to get back at her husband, a feminist hero? [Slate.com’s XX Factor]
- Yoko Ono, who is 77 now (!), speaks about her art, her charity work, and her late husband, John Lennon. [USA Today]
- Corin Tucker, formerly of the feminist punk/rock band Sleater-Kinney, talks about her new solo album, 1,000 years. [OregonLive.com]
- Nina Hartley, an adult film star since the ’70s whose work has always focused on true female pleasure, received an honorary doctorate from the Institute for Advanced Study of Human Sexuality in San Francisco, California. [Las Vegas Weekly]
- Haitian women who have been living in camps since the January 2009 earthquake in Haiti are not well-enough protected from sexual violence, said a new report from Refugees International. There are approximately 1,300 camps in Haiti which are occupied with over one million individuals. Experts say incidents of rape have tripled in Haiti since the disaster. [Bloomberg]
- A rabbi says sleeping with the enemy is “kosher” for female Mossad agents, which is the Israeli spy group. Good to know. [Nerve.com]
- Seventy-five percent of Australians want abortion to be legalized, according to a study of 1,000 people by Marie Stops International in Australia, which is similar to Planned Parenthood. [ABC.net.au]
- The third-ever Feminism in London conference will be held on October 24th and run by the London Feminist Network. Does the Frisky have any readers in London? Y’all should go! [BUST Magazine]
5 Signs You Belong Together
We've all heard the old saying that there's someone out there for everyone. Here are a few signs you can look for to figure out just how well you and your partner mesh together.
3 Reasons to Stay Single
There are plenty of benefits to being in a relationship, but there are just as many reasons for staying single.
9 Sexual Communication Tips
Talking about sex can be stressful, Here are nine helpful tips to make it easier.
Top 5 Gifts for Couples
Are you looking for something you can share with your partner? Check out these great recommendations to find something that you'll both love.
Top 5 Gifts for Him
Not sure what to get your man? Check out some of the top gift ideas from the guys at Adam & Eve.
Indulge in a little "me time"
Adam & Eve Adult Toys. Always Discreet, Free Shipping and Bonus Gifts.