Today’s Lady News: Disneyland Says Muslim Woman Has To Wear A Disney-Designed Veil
- A University of Illinois student recruited for an internship at Disneyland has been told she is allowed to wear a hijab veil for her job, but it must be one designed by Disney. Noor Abdallah, 22, was told this week she could wear a headscarf with a blue Disney beret on it; unfortunately, her internship is now over. The Council for American-Islamic Relations said Disney has been involved in numerous disputes with Muslim women this year. [UPI]
- Eleven women were among the 23 peeps to win MacArthur “Genius” grants, which provide $500K annually for five years to encourage brilliant individuals to keep working. Jessie Little Doe Baird, a Native American linguist, is one of those lucky ladies. [New York Times, AOL News]
- Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi said last night that “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell will be gone by the end of the year. It will just be a said memory” — despite the fact that it died in the Senate last week. [Metro Weekly]
- Carmakers are using fewer bikini babes to lure customers at car shows — mostly, it seems, because more women are attending. [Reuters]
- Ayaan Hirsi Ali, a Somalian feminist and former Dutch Parliament member, drew veiled protesters when she spoke recently in Seattle. Hirsi Ali is a vocal critic of Islam’s treatment of women. [Guanabee]
- Does male menopause actually exist? [Slate.com’s Double X]
- Stay-at-home moms are getting addicted to the video game Mafia Wars, apparently. [The Daily Beast]
- Meet La Barbe, a group of French feminists who protest by wearing fake beards on their faces and pretending to be sexist men! [Feministing]
- Running group Racing Queensland in Australia has banned a “bikini girl race” because it said 150 women jogging in bikinis would not make the Gold Coast look like “a city of repute.” [News.com.au]
- A British Muslim Pakistani man writes about the struggles of interracial marriage and his family’s disapproval of his marriage to a white woman. [Guardian UK]
- The Netherlands is considering a ban on women wearing face-covering Muslim veils. [BBC]
- Brazil might soon elect its first female president: Dilma Rousseff, 62, a former Marxist guerilla. [Los Angeles Times]
5 Signs You Belong Together
We've all heard the old saying that there's someone out there for everyone. Here are a few signs you can look for to figure out just how well you and your partner mesh together.
3 Reasons to Stay Single
There are plenty of benefits to being in a relationship, but there are just as many reasons for staying single.
9 Sexual Communication Tips
Talking about sex can be stressful, Here are nine helpful tips to make it easier.
Top 5 Gifts for Couples
Are you looking for something you can share with your partner? Check out these great recommendations to find something that you'll both love.
Top 5 Gifts for Him
Not sure what to get your man? Check out some of the top gift ideas from the guys at Adam & Eve.
Indulge in a little "me time"
Adam & Eve Adult Toys. Always Discreet, Free Shipping and Bonus Gifts.