Today’s Lady News: UF Professor Fired For Saying Latinas Dress Sluttier Than American Women
- A University of Florida professor was fired for saying Latina women dress sluttier than American women during a lecture on sexual harassment, apparently in reference to the sports reporter Ines Sainz. Timothy Taylor has filed a grievance complaint alleging his academic freedom has been stifled. UF is having none of it, considering Taylor was suspended twice before for “inappropriate interactions with female students,” like touching their hair, and was told further inappropriate behavior would get him canned. Why would the school keep someone around so long who had so many complaints against him? [Miami Times]
- Unprofessionalism alert: Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid introduced New York Senator Kristen Gillibrand at a recent event by saying, “We in the Senate refer to Sen. Gillibrand as the hottest member.” Witnesses said Sen. Gillibrand turned red and the audience started tittering. Tell me, Sen. Reid, would you introduce a male senator this way, too? [Feministing]
- Abortion clinics in Louisiana are suing over a new state law that gives the state health department unprecedented control to shut them down over health and safety concerns. Right after the law went into effect this summer, a Shreveport abortion clinic had its license suspended for several weeks. [CNBC]
- A defense bill to repeal “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell,” a policy that prohibits gays and lesbians from serving openly in the military, has been stalled in the Senate by Republicans. [CNN]
- A new Mormon group called Sisters Advocating for Voice and Equality (WAVE) is fighting for feminist improvements within the Church of Latter Day Saints, including putting baby changing tables in the men’s bathrooms. [Salt Lake City Weekly]
- How black models and fashion designers are fighting to stay visible in mainstream fashion. [The Griot]
- A New York reconstructive gynecological surgeon — i.e., a “designer vagina” surgeon — is being sued for sexual harassment and bribery by two former employees. The two women say Dr. Robert Rho groped them, kissed them, made unwanted sexual overtures, and gave them free cosmetic surgery procedures, but asked for a little somethin’-somethin’ in return. [Gothamist]
- A profile on Ntozake Shange, the playwright behind “For Colored Girls Who Have Considered Suicide/When The Rainbow Is Not Enuf,” which is being turned into a film by Tyler Perry called “For Colored Girls.” [New York Times]
- Jill Johnston, who wrote about lesbianism and ’60s and ’70s feminism in a column for The Village Voice, passed away this weekend at age 81. Johnson was the author of the 1973 book Lesbian Nation: The Feminist Solution, which was called a “bible for militant feminists.” [AP]
- What’s it like being a female construction worker? [New York Times]
- Girls in Afghanistan are dressed and sent to school as boys, in part because they can get an education without fear of being attacked by the Taliban and in part because of cultural pressure on Afghani women to produce male heirs. [New York Times]
- The British shopping chain Marks & Spencer (equivalent to a Target in the U.S.) is facing a boycott after it sub-leased space in Bristol to a Hooter’s restaurant. [Telegraph UK]
- Swiss women are expected to take the majority of seats in the country’s Cabinet. Go, Switzerland! [AP]
- A 19-year-old woman has complained to an employment tribunal that she faced gender discrimination while trying to train to be a police officer. She said was was told “lose the makeup” and called “little miss PC.” [The Sun UK]
5 Signs You Belong Together
We've all heard the old saying that there's someone out there for everyone. Here are a few signs you can look for to figure out just how well you and your partner mesh together.
3 Reasons to Stay Single
There are plenty of benefits to being in a relationship, but there are just as many reasons for staying single.
9 Sexual Communication Tips
Talking about sex can be stressful, Here are nine helpful tips to make it easier.
Top 5 Gifts for Couples
Are you looking for something you can share with your partner? Check out these great recommendations to find something that you'll both love.
Top 5 Gifts for Him
Not sure what to get your man? Check out some of the top gift ideas from the guys at Adam & Eve.
Indulge in a little "me time"
Adam & Eve Adult Toys. Always Discreet, Free Shipping and Bonus Gifts.