Today’s Lady News: Performing Sexual Favors Totally Fine For Women In Politics, Says Italian Dude
- It’s totally OK if women use their bodies to get ahead in politics, advises Giorgio Stracquadanio, an ally of Silvio Berlusconi, the prime minister of Italy (who has made plenty of sexist comments himself). Stracquadanio added that, in his opinion, a woman performing sexual favors to get ahead would not be grounds for dismissal. Being a woman working in Italian government must be a ball. [Telegraph UK]
- Investment banking firm Goldman Sachs is being sued for sexual discrimination. Three women are seeking a class action lawsuit against the bank, claiming they were held back from raises and promotions because of their gender. [New York Observer]
- Who amongst us does not want to hear Rush Limbaugh’s opinion on Ines Sainz, the sports reporter who was sexually harassed by the New York Jets? [Media Matters]
- Although women are responsible for less than five percent of workplace violence incidents — like, pulling out a gun and shooting your co-workers — that number is on the rise. Experts are hesitant to call female workplace shootings a “trend,” though. [Kansas City Star]
- Women are more likely to believe scientific evidence of climate change than men, according to a new study of eight years’ worth of Gallup polling. [USA Today]
- Nine out of 10 gay or lesbian students said they have experienced harassment in school, according to a study of over 7,000 middle and high schoolers in 2009. [GLSEN.org]
- A Sinhalese woman in Minnesota, who calls herself a “womanist,” blogs about why the solidarity between white women feminists and women feminists of color is a “fable.” [Womanist Musings]
- As numbers of male hunters decline nationwide, guess who is being recruited to fill the gap? That’s right: the ladies! It’s time to put Sarah P. on speed dial. [Minneapolis Star-Tribune]
- A Muslim blogger takes issue at the way Islamic women are often stereotyped in the media as a “Muslim battered wife” with a cruel, abusive husband. [Muslimah Media Watch]
- A 15-year-old Oklahoma girl aced the ACT college entrance exam on her first try. She’s also a freshman taking four AP classes! [FOX10tv.com]
- Savannah Dooley, the writer of “Huge” and an out lesbian, extols her love of “Daria” and her ideal camp for LGBT teens. [AfterEllen.com]
- Fewer women worldwide are dying each year from pregnancy and childbirth, the World Health Organization reports, but healthcare is not on track to greatly reduce the maternal mortality rate by 2015. Most maternal deaths occur in poor countries in sub-Saharan Africa and Southeast Asia. [AP]
- The bartender at a restaurant in suburban Vancouver has taken her employer to court, claiming she was required to dress to physically entice male customers. She says she was told to dress with “class and sex appeal,” wear makeup, and wear her hair down. [CBC.ca]
- Germany’s leading weatherman is on trial for rape. [Time]
- An international human rights group has called on India to stop checking the hymen to see if a woman had already had sexual experience before she was sexually assaulted. [New York Times]
- India’s largest English-language newspaper, the Times of India, published an article called, “Should a Woman Marry Her Rapist” with the lede, “When a rapist offers to marry the victim, one would think it’s the perfect solution.” Really, one would think that? Face. Palm. [Caveat Viator]
5 Signs You Belong Together
We've all heard the old saying that there's someone out there for everyone. Here are a few signs you can look for to figure out just how well you and your partner mesh together.
3 Reasons to Stay Single
There are plenty of benefits to being in a relationship, but there are just as many reasons for staying single.
9 Sexual Communication Tips
Talking about sex can be stressful, Here are nine helpful tips to make it easier.
Top 5 Gifts for Couples
Are you looking for something you can share with your partner? Check out these great recommendations to find something that you'll both love.
Top 5 Gifts for Him
Not sure what to get your man? Check out some of the top gift ideas from the guys at Adam & Eve.
Indulge in a little "me time"
Adam & Eve Adult Toys. Always Discreet, Free Shipping and Bonus Gifts.