Here’s how I generally feel about awards shows: they’re exciting for the first 15 minutes and then things get sloooooow from there and I just want it to end so I can go to sleep. I was prepared to be totally bored during last night’s Emmy Awards. But the show turned out to be both adorable and entertaining. Besides the “Glee”-tastic, Jon Hamm rump-shakin’ opening number, here are my 10 favorite Emmy moments. With videos included!
- When we got a second dose of Jon Hamm and Betty White flirting while presenting the award for Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series.
- Jane Lynch‘s acceptance speech after winning the Emmy for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy. She said, “To the cast, you’re young and fresh faced and when I’m not seething with jealousy I am so proud of you.” We almost died when she got teary thanking her new wife.
- John Hodgeman’s amazing announcement as the winners ascended the stage to give their acceptance speeches. My fave lines: ““Economists credit Jane Lynch’s character on Glee with creating over 62,000 new jobs in the polyester tracksuit industry” and “Ryan Murphy was previously nominated for directing the pilot of “Nip/Tuck.” Until then, no one in Hollywood had even heard of plastic surgery.”
- Jimmy Fallon and Kim Kardashian doing a little duet about reality television.
- “Modern Family” pulled off the upset for Outstanding Comedy. But their shining moment was the adorbs sketch where each of the three families wants George Clooney in theirs.
- I told you “Big Bang Theory” is a seriously underrated show. How sweet was it when Jim Parsons, who plays Sheldon, won for Outstanding Actor in a Comedy, taking out same-old same-old favorites Tony Shaloub and Alec Baldwin?
- During the award for Outstanding Writing in a Drama, the nominees were asked on camera for the most ridiculous note they ever got from a network on one of their scripts. The answers were amazing—and Matthew Weiner revealed that execs wanted him to rewrite a line from Shakespeare to make it clearer.
- Jimmy Fallon doing Boyz II Men, showing us how hard it is to say goodbye to yesterday or, err, last year’s shows. Maybe he’s going on the cruise?
- Anna Paquin and Stephen Moyer making their first appearance since tying the knot. We loved when Alexander Skarsgard stepped forward to make the obligatory vampire pun so they didn’t have to.
- The cast and crew of “Mad Men” on stage, totally glowing after winning Outstanding Drama for the third time in a row. We liked that Matthew Weiner got to continue his speech.
To me, the only thing that made me roll my eyes all night was actually Claire Danes, who came off as haughty and annoying both times she went to the podium. And the hour where they presented the awards for TV movies totally dragged. Can’t they start doing that ahead of time?