Today’s Lady News: Missouri Women Seeking Abortions To Be Told Life Begins At Conception
- On August 28, an anti-abortion law in Missouri will go into effect, which will require that “the life of each human being begins at conception” and “abortion will terminate the life of a separate, unique, living human being” be written on brochures handed out to women seeking abortions. Missouri already has a 24-hour waiting period for a woman seeking to terminate a pregnancy. [StLToday.com]
- First Lady Michelle Obama has a new portrait appearing at the National Portrait Gallery in Washington, D.C. The work by Mickalene Thomas, an African-American female painter, looks a little Andy Warhol-ish to me! [Essence]
- Check out baseball prodigy Chelsea Baker, 13, who’s pitched two perfect games and been recognized by the National Baseball Hall of Fame. [CNN]
- Meet Anne Nicol Gaylor, 83, who writes checks from the Women’s Medical Fund in Madison, to help low-income women in Wisconsin afford abortions. Gaylor runs the nonprofit fund, which distributed over $160,000 last year, from her home. Most of the money comes from individual donors, while the rest comes from foundations. According to Gaylor, the average amount of money she gives out is $235. [Madison State Journal]
- Muslim-American women who wear face-covering veils, like the hijab and the niqab, explain their choice on CNN’s “In America.” [CNN]
- A longtime anti-abortion activist, Mary Susan Pine of Florida, is being targeted by the Department of Justice under the Freedom of Access to Clinic Entrances Act. If she obstructs an abortion clinic driveway, she could receive a $10,000 fine. [Palm Beach Post]
- The Los Angeles Trade Technical College has seen its first all-female class learn the ins and outs of climbing the poles as a utility lineman. They earned certificates which will help them be more competitive when applying for jobs. The class was offered for free with funding from a state grant to diversify workplaces. [San Jose Mercury News]
- Meet House Rep. Stephanie Herseth Sandlin and State Rep. Kristi Noem, the “”mama grizzly” and “the next Sarah Palin” who are fighting for one of South Dakota’s seats in the House. [Washington Post]
- One lesbian says the “gayby boom” — or gay baby boom — has made it harder for her and her partner to explain why they don’t want children. [Salon.com]
- Novelist Nancy Freedman (Mrs. Mike) passed away earlier this month, at the age of 90. [Los Angeles Times]
- Stress makes PMS worse, report researchers at the National Institutes of Health. You don’t say! [Wall Street Journal]
- Almost 200 women and some young boys were gang raped by Rwandan and Congolese rebels in the Congo three weeks ago, according to aid workers. [AP]
- The brother and father of Afshan Azad, 22, who appeared in a couple of “Harry Potter” films, deny making threats to kill her. Both are banned from contacting the actress or her partner. [BBC]
- People cannot be forced to wear religious articles of clothing, such as Islamic veils, in workplaces and schools, a Bangladesh court has ruled. This decision came after two college students were forced to wear veils. [BBC]
- One mom speaks out in defense of home births. [The Guardian]
- Female winners of the U.K.’s “Apprentice” show are taking crap for getting pregnant. [Grazia]
- A U.K. columnist accuses Eminem and Rihanna of “romanticizing domestic violence” and promoting “brutality chic” in their video for “Love The Way You Lie.” [Telegraph]
5 Signs You Belong Together
We've all heard the old saying that there's someone out there for everyone. Here are a few signs you can look for to figure out just how well you and your partner mesh together.
3 Reasons to Stay Single
There are plenty of benefits to being in a relationship, but there are just as many reasons for staying single.
9 Sexual Communication Tips
Talking about sex can be stressful, Here are nine helpful tips to make it easier.
Top 5 Gifts for Couples
Are you looking for something you can share with your partner? Check out these great recommendations to find something that you'll both love.
Top 5 Gifts for Him
Not sure what to get your man? Check out some of the top gift ideas from the guys at Adam & Eve.
Indulge in a little "me time"
Adam & Eve Adult Toys. Always Discreet, Free Shipping and Bonus Gifts.