Today’s Lady News: China’s “Fake Virgins” Are On The Rise
- The lengths women will go through to seem “pure”: an increasing number of sexually active young Chinese women are getting a surgical “hymen restoration” so they appear to be virgins on their wedding night. A “hymen restoration” costs about $700 and involves a half hour of surgery. [Washington Post]
- Miss Universe contestants caused a stir posing topless in body paint in promotions for the pageant. Because, you know, beauty pageants aren’t supposed to be about people’s bodies or anything. [Huffington Post]
- Health experts say low-income immigrant women are using the abortion pill RU-486 illicitly, because they can purchase the pills for as little as $20 off the street when they cannot afford a doctor’s visit to have them prescribed. According to the February 2010 of the journal Contraception, the median cost for a first-trimester abortion is $430. [ABC News]
- The Sheldon Museum of Art in Lincoln, Nebraska, realized artwork by male artists outnumbered that of female artists by 12 to 1. This year, it is dedicating 85 percent of its exhibition space to work by female artists, including Georgia O’Keeffe. [Omaha.com]
- San Diego County has given $315,000 in tax money to faith-based organizations, including one which discourages pregnant women from having abortions and another which created a program called “Abortion Changes You,” which is for “men, women, family members and friends experiencing reproductive grief after abortion.” [SignOnSanDiego.com]
- A New York City mother claims she was kicked out of Lily O’Brien’s Chocolate Cafe in Manhattan for breastfeeding her child. Julia Acevedo-Taylor said she was nursing her five-month-old daughter when a manager approached her and repeatedly asked her to stop. Breastfeeding in public is legal in New York State. [New York Post]
- Louisiana Senate candidate Rep. Charlie Melancon released a new TV ad on Friday called “The Worst,” which highlights Sen. David Vitter’s terrible record on women’s issues — such as cheating on his wife and keeping an aide on staff who was arrested for attacking his ex-girlfriend with a knife and holding her hostage. You can watch the video here. [Politics Daily]
- Racked, a shopping blog based in both Los Angeles and New York City, has hired its first transgender guest blogger, named Doll. [Racked]
- Blogger Rose of Feministing is sick of female pop stars singing about love all the time. Do you agree? [Feministing]
- The application for a Hooters restaurant chain in Cardiff, England, has been granted by the city council. Last week members of the Cardiff Feminist Network staged a protest against what they see as a sexist restaurant chain. [Guardian UK]
- Plastic surgeons in Bolivia are offering “bargain” nose jobs to indigenous people, angering those who try to preserve their heritage. Advertisements promise to fix “nose deformities” for less than $400. [BBC]
- A new British documentary, “I Am Slave,” examines how women from poorer countries emigrate to the United Kingdom to be employed as domestic workers, but instead become overworked and abused as slaves. [Guardian UK]
- A young couple was stoned to death after their secret elopement was made public, Amnesty International reports. [Amnesty.org]
- A British CEO is being sued for $20 million by a clerk who claims Marcus Bolton drunkenly wrestled her to the floor, stood on her breast, looked at male employees in the office and then pumped his fists in the air. The woman also claims Bolton told her, “‘Oh, come on now, it’s alright, they [her breasts] are big and you probably didn’t even feel it.” Bolton denies the claims. [Telegraph UK]
- The Mexican Supreme Court voted today to uphold a law in Mexico City that allows adoptions by same-sex couples. [AP]
5 Signs You Belong Together
We've all heard the old saying that there's someone out there for everyone. Here are a few signs you can look for to figure out just how well you and your partner mesh together.
3 Reasons to Stay Single
There are plenty of benefits to being in a relationship, but there are just as many reasons for staying single.
9 Sexual Communication Tips
Talking about sex can be stressful, Here are nine helpful tips to make it easier.
Top 5 Gifts for Couples
Are you looking for something you can share with your partner? Check out these great recommendations to find something that you'll both love.
Top 5 Gifts for Him
Not sure what to get your man? Check out some of the top gift ideas from the guys at Adam & Eve.
Indulge in a little "me time"
Adam & Eve Adult Toys. Always Discreet, Free Shipping and Bonus Gifts.