Today’s Lady News: Senate Candidate Says Stay-At-Home Parenting Is “Right” Thing To Do
- Sharron Angle, a U.S. Senate candidate for Nevada, has said that having one parent staying at home with children is the “right” and “acceptable” thing to do. Gee, I wonder which gender she’s talking about?! A group of Las Vegas working moms wondered the same thing and recently held an event to denounce Angle and throw their support behind Sen. Harry Reid. [Las Vegas Sun]
- A former middle school student who claimed teasing at school lead her to develop anorexia has settled her federal lawsuit against the Pittsburgh Public Schools. The girl, identified as “B.G.,” said she was harassed every day beginning in 6th grade by three boys who told her she was fat and ugly. Once, when she began to cry in class from the abuse, “B.G.” said, she was sent to the guidance counselor’s office where she was told the boys must be flirting. In 7th grade, two more boys joined in on the teasing and she developed anorexia. That same year, “B.G.” eventually told her mother about what was going on. The girl’s mother said she was never notified about the teasing, even though school administrators were aware it was going on. The settlement is for $55K, plus the cost of mediation. [Pittsburgh Post-Gazette]
- The Senate recently voted to cut funding for food stamps, which are used by over 40 million low-income Americans. In 2014, the allotment for a family of three will drop by about $50 worth of food stamps a month. Ms. magazine breaks down why poor women and their families will be affected. CORRECTION: Thank you, commenter deflyn15, for pointing out the error. The food stamps amount has been dropped by $50, not reduced to $50. [Ms.]
- Between 10 and 12 women have told New York City police a man posing as French TV reporter sexually assaulted or harassed them. Hugues-Denver Akassy was arrested for sexual assault a woman on July 27; earlier that day he was also busted for criminal trespass after peeping into a bathroom window on a woman. This isn’t the only mark on his record: in 2009, Akassy was charged with aggravated harassment on a different woman. [New York Daily News]
- An appeal has already been filed on a U.S. District judge’s decision to overturn California’s Proposition 8 ban on same-sex marriage. So soon! [The Daily Beast]
- The president of Ball Memorial Hospital in Indiana — where workers turned someone who was coughing up blood because she was a transgender woman and called her an “it” and a “he-she” — said it will work with trans rights organizations to better educate the staff. [Queerty]
- Attention, ladies: con men are pretending to be members of the military and scam you outta your cash through dating and social networking sites. [kens5.com]
- Helen Thomas, who was until recently the elder stateswoman of the White House press pool, has turned 90. Happy birthday, Helen! [Huffington Post]
- Writer Michelle Cottle for The New Republic says Sarah and Bristol Palin share one unflattering trait: “when they do something stupid, their immediate response is to blame someone else.” [NPR]
- Why are child prostitutes in Bangladesh taking Oradexon, a steroid for cows? [Ms. Magazine]
- Sakineh Mohammai Ashitiani, 43, the Iranian woman sentenced to death for adultery, has granted an exclusive interview to the U.K.’s Guardian. Iranian officials say Ashtiani conspired to murder her husband and yet she says the man who actually murdered him was only sentenced to prison time. She, however, was sentenced to death by stoning “because I am a woman.” Ashtiani continued, “It’s because for them adultery is worse than murder – but not all kinds of adultery: an adulterous man might not even be imprisoned but an adulterous women is the end of the world for them. It’s because I’m in a country where its women do not have the right to divorce their husbands and are deprived of their basic rights.” After human rights organizations drew attention to her plight, her sentence was dropped to death by hanging. Iran recently denied an offer of asylum in Brazil. [The Guardian]
5 Signs You Belong Together
We've all heard the old saying that there's someone out there for everyone. Here are a few signs you can look for to figure out just how well you and your partner mesh together.
3 Reasons to Stay Single
There are plenty of benefits to being in a relationship, but there are just as many reasons for staying single.
9 Sexual Communication Tips
Talking about sex can be stressful, Here are nine helpful tips to make it easier.
Top 5 Gifts for Couples
Are you looking for something you can share with your partner? Check out these great recommendations to find something that you'll both love.
Top 5 Gifts for Him
Not sure what to get your man? Check out some of the top gift ideas from the guys at Adam & Eve.
Indulge in a little "me time"
Adam & Eve Adult Toys. Always Discreet, Free Shipping and Bonus Gifts.