Mel Gibson‘s infamous rants have earned him a lot of haters, but now they’ve also earned him the honor of having a drink named after him. At the Oak Bar in New York’s Plaza Hotel, they’re serving up a Mel ‘Bipolar’ Gibson. Executive chef Eric Hara said of the drink, “Gibson … Bipolar … All these words flying around in the media just jumped out at me. So I made a Gibson, which is a classic cocktail, into something thoroughly twisted.” The cocktail consists of a shot of gin, a shot of Van Gogh Vodka, since the painter was also bipolar, and of course cocktail onions for garnish. Let’s just hope Gibson doesn’t unleash his wrath on Hara! [People]And to get you as drunk as a celeb, we’ve rounded up a few other cocktails named after famous people.
- Unsurprisingly, the starlet who’s gone to prison for her boozy downfall, Lindsay Lohan, has a drink named after her at Hollywood’s Birds Cafe. The cocktail consists of vodka and olive juice and comes with the warning, “Careful: two drinks can land you in jail and kill your career.” It would be funnier if it came in a water bottle, like the one Lindsay was carrying around when she was totally “not drinking.” [LA Times]
- At New York bar The Anchor, there are a lot of drinks named after celebrities. One of the most interesting sounding is the Murricane, named after Bill Murray, or more accurately, after the nickname Dan Aykroyd gave his sometimes moody co-star! The Murricane consists of bourbon, shaken with basil, watermelon juice, elderflower liqueur, and flecked with black pepper. Co-owner Jason LaGarenne said, “He was commenting on the drinks and we offered to name one after him. He was a good sport about it. He wanted something with chartreuse, but we talked him into bourbon.” It sounds like maybe Bill’s request got lost in translation but I would totally try a Murricane anyway! Even though it sounds more like a salad than a drink. [NY Times]
- After Angelina Jolie filmed part of “Tomb Raider” in Cambodia, a bartender at The Red Piano restaurant in Siem Reap named a cocktail after the actress. The classy concoction consists of vodka, Malibu rum and pineapple juice, served with an umbrella. Something tells me Angie is a little too classy for Malibu, but you can’t really go wrong with pineapple and coconut. Or mini umbrellas. [Celebrity Smack Blog]
- Dita Von Teese inspired The Cointreau Teese, which is made with Cointreau, apple juice, lemon juice violet syrup. But it’s totally cheating since she’s already the face of Cointreau. It’s probably nice to have perfume burps though. [Evil Beet Gossip]
- With a name like Eliot Spitzer, it was only a matter of time before someone made “The Eliot Spritzer.” At New York’s Hill Country barbecue restaurant, near Ashley Dupre‘s house, they serve up the spritzer which is made with Pinot Grigio, Chambord, a Serrano pepper “for a little naughty spice,” soda water, and a lime twist. Too bad you don’t get paid to drink this, Eliot! [NY Post]