Today’s Lady News: “Friday Night Lights” Teen Character Chooses An Abortion
- Wow, so “Friday Night Lights” did have an abortion on the show. After getting pregnant by one of the boys on the football team, 10th grader Becky decided to terminate the pregnancy. That makes Becky one of the few female TV characters to actually go through with an abortion instead of accidentally miscarrying at the last second. [New York Times, Feministing]
- Sarah Palin endorsed Georgia’s Republican gubernatorial candidate Karen Handel, calling her “a great commonsense conservative woman.” [AP]
- Forever 21 is launching a new maternity line, love21maternity, in Utah, Alaska, Arizona, California, and Texas. The last three states just happen to have some of the highest percentages of teen pregnancy in the country. Maybe that’s just a coincidence, though? [TheGloss.com]
- Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor is writing a memoir! [New York Observer]
- The Columbus Dispatch released figures on the state’s wage gap and it’s not good: women in Ohio earn an average of $2.17 per hour less than men in administrative positions. In 2007, women officials and administrators earn 20 percent less than men do, at $11.26 on average. [Dispatch.com]
- A group called Servicemembers United has obtained a copy of the survey regarding the repeal of the “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” policy, which has been sent to hundreds of thousands of troops. One of the questions includes: “What would you do if a gay or lesbian were in your shower?” [ABC News]
- Lillian Brown was staying outside Port-au-Prince, Haiti, when the devastating earthquake hit in January. Now the Madison, Mississippi, native has dedicated her life to helping Haitians with recovery. [WAPT]
- A family in Omaha, Nebraska, claims 43-year-old Ann Tompkins died from a deadly blood clot caused by her Nuva Ring birth control. [Fox News]
- A Philadelphia man was arrested by security officers after he was caught taking upskirt photos of underage girls at the mall. [NBC Philadelphia]
- A study of over 200 married lesbians has found that many are “late-blooming” and only embrace homosexuality later on in life, in their 30s. [Metro UK]
- Procter & Gamble is hosting its third annual “My Black is Beautiful” campaign on African-American beauty, hair and health. This year it will be casting models throughout the country to be ambassadors for the brand. [Cincinnati.com]
- Meet boxing champ Christina Cruz, who’s angling for Olympic gold at the 2012 Summer Olympics in London. [New York Times]
- What’s the real reason more women are remaining childless? [Slate.com]
- Breasts can be a pain in the ass for female athletes. [Orange County Register]
- A new government study out of Brazil found 10 women are killed every day from domestic violence. Sickening. [CNN]
- Self-immolation — setting oneself on fire — is still common by women in Afghanistan who are trying to commit suicide to escape their lifestyle. [Time]
- So-called “honor killings”: they’re still happening in India. [New York Times]
- And now some good news: a court in Bangladesh outlawed “fatwas,” or punishments, of women who committed “offenses,” like getting pregnant after a rape. Earlier this year, a 16-year-old girl was flogged 101 times with a whip after she became pregnant from a rape, because she had acted “immorally.” Her 20-year-old rapist was pardoned. [Independent UK]
- The women on Zimbabwe’s ARV (anti-retroviral drugs) Swallows soccer team are all HIV-positive and have become like family to each other. The Swallows play other teams like the Stigma Eradicated and the Virus Ambassadors. [AFP]
- The Church of England’s synod has ruled that women are allowed to be bishops. [BBC]
5 Signs You Belong Together
We've all heard the old saying that there's someone out there for everyone. Here are a few signs you can look for to figure out just how well you and your partner mesh together.
3 Reasons to Stay Single
There are plenty of benefits to being in a relationship, but there are just as many reasons for staying single.
9 Sexual Communication Tips
Talking about sex can be stressful, Here are nine helpful tips to make it easier.
Top 5 Gifts for Couples
Are you looking for something you can share with your partner? Check out these great recommendations to find something that you'll both love.
Top 5 Gifts for Him
Not sure what to get your man? Check out some of the top gift ideas from the guys at Adam & Eve.
Indulge in a little "me time"
Adam & Eve Adult Toys. Always Discreet, Free Shipping and Bonus Gifts.