Today’s Lady News: “Today” Will Not Be Throwing A Gay Wedding
- Lesbian and gay couples are urging NBC to open “The Today Show”‘s wedding contest to them, too. The network has said it won’t do so because New York state, where the show is filmed, doesn’t recognize same-sex marriage. Gay rights advocates say that excuse doesn’t hold water because NY actually recognizes marriage licenses from other states, so a ceremony could, in fact, be performed on the show. [TheWrap.com]
- Louisiana Senator David Vitter said it’s “old news” that his former staffer, Brent Furer, allegedly held a woman at knife point and threatened to kill her. The incident occurred in 2008 and Furer resigned last month after an ABC News report on the incident; Vitter had repeatedly refused to answer questions about why he kept Furer on staff all that time. [ABC News]
- More crap news from the wage gap trenches: German women expect to earn a lower salary than their male counterparts because men are considered to be the breadwinners. A recent study found German women earn 20 percent less than men, one of the highest gender gaps in the European Union, and researchers theorize they accept the unequal pay as a part of their culture. [Washington Post]
- Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindal signed a bill yesterday which requires a woman seeking an abortion to undergo an ultrasound first, with no exceptions for victims of rape or incest. [KLFY]
- Breastfeeding moms in Apopka, Florida, are planning a “nurse-in” at a park after a lifeguard blew a whistle at a group of mothers nursing their children and told them they were “exposing themselves” and breaking the law. Breastfeeding in public is, in fact, legal in Florida. [Orlando Sentinel]
- Hawaii’s governor has vetoed legislation to legalize same-sex civil unions. [NPR]
- Juanita Kreps, former secretary of commerce for President Jimmy Carter, passed away this weekend at age 89. She was the first woman to hold that post. In 1972, she was also the first woman to be named director of the New York Stock Exchange. [New York Times]
- Feminist summer camp: you’ve got a hater. [TheGloss.com]
- Twenty-five-year-old blogger Eva Markvoort shared her battle with cystic fibrosis all the way to the very end. [Lemondrop]
- At any moment Iran could stone to death 42-year-old Sakineh Mohammadie Ashtiani, a mother of two, for committing adultery. Iran’s penal code allows for female adulters to be buried up to their waist and stoned. However, Ashtiani was forced to confess in 2006 after receiving 99 lashes and human rights lawyers say that due to a language barrier, Ashtiani may not have fully understood what she was confessing to in court. [CNN]
- Police are on the hunt for a man who shot his ex-girlfriend and killed her new boyfriend this weekend. [Daily Mail UK]
- A weapons collector allegedly murdered his wife with a World War II bayonet because he heard she was cheating. Paul Green told police, “”I know what I’ve done. She was having an affair and I’ve had enough.” Get it together, UK. [The Sun UK]
- This story out of the Kenya slums is so depressing I can’t even write about it. [Reuters]
- An international group of rabbis has written a new definition for a woman’s role in Orthodox Jewish life. The new definition says women should be able to serve as teachers, clergy, and spiritual leaders. [JTA.org]
- Australia has launched a new campaign to warn pregnant women about workplace discrimination. Almost 100,000 packets of information regarding the workplace rights of pregnant women have been mailed to hospitals and health care providers around the country. [Herald Sun]
- Apparently it’s a very big deal for a Japanese woman to keep her maiden name when she marries. [Washington Post]
5 Signs You Belong Together
We've all heard the old saying that there's someone out there for everyone. Here are a few signs you can look for to figure out just how well you and your partner mesh together.
3 Reasons to Stay Single
There are plenty of benefits to being in a relationship, but there are just as many reasons for staying single.
9 Sexual Communication Tips
Talking about sex can be stressful, Here are nine helpful tips to make it easier.
Top 5 Gifts for Couples
Are you looking for something you can share with your partner? Check out these great recommendations to find something that you'll both love.
Top 5 Gifts for Him
Not sure what to get your man? Check out some of the top gift ideas from the guys at Adam & Eve.
Indulge in a little "me time"
Adam & Eve Adult Toys. Always Discreet, Free Shipping and Bonus Gifts.