I don’t think I knew any young girls growing up in the ’80s who didn’t worship the all-girls rock band The Go-Go’s. I was no exception. I was specifically taken with the funky hair-rocking, Day-Glo-clothes-sporting, frosted lipstick-wearing lead singer, Belinda Carlisle. I wanted to be her, but now I’m not so sure. Belinda’s new tell-all memoir, Lips Unsealed, reveals that her life was more hell than heaven on earth. Here are five things you probably didn’t know about the Go-Go.
- As a pre-teen, she was called “fat and ugly” by her alcoholic stepfather.
- She got into black magic and even tried to cast a spell from The Satanic Bible.
- All the while looking fabulous to us, Belinda was struggling with a major eating disorder. She became hooked on cocaine, using it as an appetite suppressant. Belinda wanted to look like Madonna and she battled addiction for the next 30 years.
- She’s been married for 25 years to former Ronald Reagan adviser Morgan Mason. They have one son together, James Duke Mason, and Belinda admits to drinking booze and using cocaine all throughout her pregnancy.
- Her decision to get sober came in 2005 in a London Hotel Room after a three-day drug binge. She had an out-of-body experience where she saw herself overdosing and dying.
Scary stuff, but I am certainly looking forward to reading this one.