Everyone loves a great deal: a pair of shoes half off, a sample sale, or accessories that are buy one, get one free. But here’s a great reason why beauty shouldn’t always be about the price — or the deal. Jane Ubell-Meyer received what should have been a normal gel manicure, but after her experience with an inexperienced technician, she’s had to visit orthopedists, dermatologists, and chiropractors due to major pain through her thumb. It seems during her beauty treatment, the manicurist working on her nails slipped and cut Jane’s finger, then exposed the inside of her skin to chemicals, which later affected her nerves. Though everyone always thinks these situations can never happen to them, this is certainly a wake-up call to realize that when it comes to beauty and your own body, skimping to save a few dollars isn’t the answer. If you’re planning to get a gel manicure, watch out for these signs and make sure your technician is fully educated on how to perform the treatment …
- Glue and polish should NOT mix.
- All containers should be marked.
- If you smell anything odd, chances are it’s hazardous.
- Pay attention to any pain in your hands or nails while undergoing your manicure.
- If you experience a cut, stop the procedure.
- The final product should be clear and shiny.