Today’s Lady News: Iceland’s Lesbian Prime Minister Marries Her Girlfriend
- Iceland’s prime minister, Johanna Sigurdardottir, married her girlfriend, Jonina Leosdottir, on Sunday, when the country’s same-sex marriage law became legalized. Congratulations! [AP]
- Nevada’s Republican senatorial candidate, Sharron Angle, said she opposes legal abortion even in the case of rape and incest, while appearing on “The Bill Manders Show,” explaining, “I believe that God has a plan and a purpose for each one of our lives.” Angle also said she is “pro-responsible choice,” adding “there is a choice to abstain, [a] choice to do contraception.” [Huffington Post]
- A New York Times analysis on New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg’s administration has found the staffers to be mostly white and mostly male. Of the top 80 city officials, 79 percent are Caucasian and 64 percent are men. NYC’s entire non-Hispanic white population is currently only 35 percent. [NY Times]
- Baltimore is establishing a new rape crisis hotline after a recent Baltimore Sun investigation found that the city’s police have recorded the highest percentage in the country of rape cases that officers classify as false or baseless. [Baltimore Sun, Baltimore Sun]
- A lesbian in Knoxville, Tennessee, said the Department of Motor Vehicles tried to take back the driver’s license it issued her with her married name after she wed her girlfriend in Washington, D.C. [MetroWeekly.com]
- Actress Geena Davis visited the United Nations to discuss using the media as a tool for empowering women. In 2004, Davis conducted an analysis of characters in G-rated movies and children’s TV and found female characters tend to have sexualization as one of their character traits and they were often dressed no differently than R-rated films In the films analyzed, there was only one female character for every three characters. [CNN]
- A Wyoming man has been sentenced to 60 years in prison for using Craigslist to arrange the rape of his ex-girlfriend. He posted on the site pretending to be his ex-girlfriend, saying she wanted a “rape fantasy” fulfilled. [AP]
- Congratulations, ladies! We have better palates than men when it comes to tasting beer. [Wall Street Journal]
- Meet the Afghani women who have been jailed for “moral crimes” or having “bad character.” [BBC]
- A Buddhist monk in Phnom Penh, Cambodia, has been charged with secretly filming women bathing in holy water. Yes, a monk. [AOL News]
- Check out these Palestinian women who call themselves “speed sisters” and race cars on the West Bank. [ABC News]
5 Signs You Belong Together
We've all heard the old saying that there's someone out there for everyone. Here are a few signs you can look for to figure out just how well you and your partner mesh together.
3 Reasons to Stay Single
There are plenty of benefits to being in a relationship, but there are just as many reasons for staying single.
9 Sexual Communication Tips
Talking about sex can be stressful, Here are nine helpful tips to make it easier.
Top 5 Gifts for Couples
Are you looking for something you can share with your partner? Check out these great recommendations to find something that you'll both love.
Top 5 Gifts for Him
Not sure what to get your man? Check out some of the top gift ideas from the guys at Adam & Eve.
Indulge in a little "me time"
Adam & Eve Adult Toys. Always Discreet, Free Shipping and Bonus Gifts.